Does anyone have experience using a Honda (or similar) inverter type generator?

These are the up-market petrol driven generator units and are around $2000 for a 2 KVA unit and are not the cheaper more common type of portable generators.

I don't need particularly high quality power, I'm only running power tools, but the light weight of this model is a huge advantage and I'm prepared to pay the extra cost for that.

However, I have one very big question. How well do they cope with the start up current drawn by motors? Whereas a standard generator will tolerate some overload on appliance start up (it's not good for them, but they tolerate it), I'm not so sure about these since I've never used one.

Yes, I know I could get a bigger one but I really am keen on keeping the weight down since this is going to be moved about a lot, preferably by one person. 21kg for the 2 KVA model and it's even got a carry handle - great but will it cope with the start up current of my 1.8 KVA grinder in the same way a standard petrol generator does cope with that (and I've been using the same one (2 KVA rated) for a decade without killing it yet, it's just too heavy).

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...