Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question hi again everyone

finished my renovations, everything passed the building inspection, house sold for four times what I paid for it - so who's a happy little bunny.

now I've bought a two story brick house with a HUGE pool. Downstairs needs renovating, first job off the rank is removing the prison bars that were so popular in the 80's. Dynabolts - how do I get the hairy little things out? am not getting into the pool this weekend until I've got the bars down so any help would be really appreciated.

mfa

Default dynabolt removal

I've managed to get the first one off by grinding through the bars and reefing the bolt out with a pinch bar but I've damaged one of the bricks doing it and it took a lot of strength - as a 60yr old granny I don't have a lot of that. I've googled the problem and all I've found generally is that one should think twice about putting them in if you want to remove them.

isn't there anyone that can offer a suggestion

G'day Gal,

A Bit involved when writing instructions;
    lets see how I can relate to how I've done it.

OTHERS, please 'ELP!!!

1st.
    Get the nut off. Hopefully by not grinding it off as you might need some of the Threaded bolt.

2nd
    See if it is Loose, how loose.

3rd
    To help here you might be able to rotate the BOLT part;
    sometimes tapping it in a bit.

4th
    Even VACUUM any loose grains or Swarf....Can one have Swarf in Masonry?

5th
    Somewhere here, pull the outer Sheath out if you can get it with Long Nosed Pliers,

either LNP or even a good MAGNET

6th
    When the outer Sheath is out, the Bolt "PROPER" 'Should' come out.

I'm thinking of rewording AGAIN, but I cannot improve it much;
    anyone else assist;
    Hoping I have the correct 'DynaBolt' in Mind.
    Some have a Short "Shroud" at the Bottom end and are near impossible......
    Drill 'em out if you have room
    AND
    they do NOT rotate.

Phew
    Navvi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan in Oz View Post
    G'day Gal,
    Somewhere here, pull the outer Sheath out if you can get it with Long Nosed Pliers,
    Some have a Short "Shroud" at the Bottom end and are near impossible......
    yep, if they have a 2 piece outer it is going to be a right royal pain in the read getting the second piece out.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa View Post
    house sold for four times what I paid for it
    When did you buy it, back in 1960?

if you share in the 4 times earnings i'll share in some ideas - and if not how about a beer

anyways i've just removed a stack of these over the last while (and not whilst breaking prison) - on average the following was followed - basically remove the nuts if they came off easy - then grind back to the metal of the prison bars and then tap the bolt back into its hole

not sure why (or whether i was just lucky) but there always seemed to be enough depth in the bolt holes that when i pushed the bolts into each of their respective holes there was enough space to then push the prison bars out - had this not being the case would probably have grinded out a slot in the bars next to where the bolt was so could slide it out

once the prison bars where gone i either grinded the bolts back to brick and filled or else chipped off some render (when there was render) to allow me to grind back to brick and then filled the hole with new render (if the bolt was a bit loose i packed the hole with whatever i had handy - sikaflex, grout, whatever)

in short my approach focused more on just leaving the buggers in there rather than trying to get them out and verbally entertain the neighbours

Good point- depends on how well they have been put in. If the hole is deeper than the length of the nut, you could always do what joister said, or otherwise if there is some slack gently tap it side to side with a hammer and the nut removed and it may come out whole.
    Planned Landscape Constructions
    www.plannedlandscape.com.au

Default dynabolts and christmas cheer

thank you for your suggestions, I still have about 6 to remove so will be busy for a while.

Brickie, I bought it in 1996!!! Brisbane prices are just about as crazy now as other capital cities.

hope you all had a lovely Christmas.