Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Finish resistant to coffee cup rings

Hi I am about to build a couple of redgum coffee tables and was wondering about some ideas as to what sort of finishes you guys reckon would be good to try on them as I want something that looks good and is resistant to staining eg cup scars etc.
    Figured I had better ask those with more knowlledge than myself as I don't want the funstopper strutting around telling me I stuffed it up.

any suggestions appreciated
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Someday I'll get it right!

My suggestion would be to use whatever finish you please then finish the finish with a 6 foot electric fence. This would eliminate "most" stains on the tabel
    prove how bored u really are, ..... visit....... http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/ my humble website

Talking

Wrap the completed coffee table in many layers of newspaper ... or if you prefer a minimalist finish I would suggest butchers paper. When a stain appears simply remove one layer and it is back to new again .... it also works well on couches.
    or you can also change the name from a coffee table to a no coffee table ... I have seen that done also with striking results.

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Ok I get the picture, how about something that is a little bit of a survivor but doesn't look as horrible as estapol
    Thanks
    Wayne
    Someday I'll get it right!

Helpfull bunch, eh?

If you have off cuts I would be temped to finish it however you think looks nice and then make coasters out of the off cuts applying a hardier finish, or the same finish and make lots of them (some to replace the ones in the shed being re-finished, better to refinish a coaster than a table top)
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

You would get good results with Ubeauts hard shellac, applied over a sealer of dewaxed white shellac (I think). This way you can easily repair nicks or the like.
    Another option is estapol tung oil from watyl (a hard wearing floor finish).

I find the shellac is easier to apply and I’ve had less imperfections as opposed to the later which requires rubbing out to achieve the best results. Despite this I recon this is better than normal polyurethane if you want to stick with poly. I’ve finished my own table in the tung oil poly and have not had any problems, despite normal wear and tear and two crystal glasses being dropped on it and smashing, complete with red wine in one case :mad:

BEST PRODUCT 2 USE IS ENVIROTEX , ITS A 2 PART MIX
    MIXED IN EQUAL AMOUNTS
    ONE COAT EQUATES TO APROX 60 STANDARD CLEAR COATS,
    ITS SELF LEVELING AND LOOKS LIKE A THIN LAYER OF GLASS WHEN HARD(CA 12 HRS @ 20 C).
    ITS NOT ALL THAT CHEAP BUT THE BEST THING I EVER PUT ON A CUSTOMERS COFFE TABLE, PUT IT ON MY DINNING TABLE 2 YEARS AGO AND MY 3YEAR OLD STILL HASNT MANAGED TO STUFF IT WITH HIS KNIFE & FORK TANTRUMS.

Be aware that Tung Oils (even those designed for flooring) are not that durable nor scratch resistant. The do require maintenance - regular if the table is to be "high traffic". Saying that - the finish that you can get from tung oil on Red Gum can be quite striking. I have seen some Haymes Tung Oil used on some Red Gum from the Echuca region. Stunning.

If you do not want an Estapol type look, you may want to consider a water based flooring product like an Aqualac. Be aware also however that water based product may make the timber a little milky on Red Gum if you apply it with the intention of having "thick" film build. Film build should be gradual. Just a suggestion as an Estapol alternative to think about.

Hi
    How is Tung oil applied? I am good at French polishing ... but that is my only forte.
    Cheers,
    Ronnie

You might try danish oil, give it a wet sand with 800 grit or so wet/dry paper in the orbital then wipe off vigorously. Works a treat... then wrap in tissue paper etc.

Hi

You can try a polyurethane finish called Maxithane by Feast Watson. This comes in Gloss, Satin or non-yellowing Gloss & Satin.

I've only used this on cement sheets and it's a bit of a bugger to apply but it gives a good hardwearing finish.

As for how it looks on wood, it should be ok as it is a flooring finish. Maybe it’s something to play around with.

Good luck !

Tung oils can be applied by a number of methods: brush, rag, whatever you feel comfortable with. It is quite an easy product to work and use.

Cheers
    Do or do not.....

Just try on a piece of scrap timber first.