Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default DeWalt DW685 circular saw

I've been in the market for a reasonable quality circular saw (mainly for large panel work) as I'm tired of the PoS Ryobi that I have.

I was in the local Bunnies this morning getting some other stuff, and as one does, had a ferret through the tools section.

I noticed that every circular saw (even the new Makitas and Bosch 'Pro' series) all had pretty ordinary pressed steel bases - except for this DW, which had a nice solid cast alloy base, marked as being $225.

I asked for one and was given a box labelled DW687; hmmm, methinks, not the same - checked and it also had a cast base, but much thinner and more flimsy.

The clerk said that I could have the display one for $185, with a blade of my choice thrown in. No manual (not necessary according to the Code anyway ) or packaging, but the warranty is still good.

I haven't tried it out yet, but it's obviously so much better than the Ryobi. Perhaps not in the Festool class, but for what I need it for, that's ok.

Steve

I had a Triton 2000 and DeWalt 3 HP circular saw about 12 or so years ago. The saw was the best thing about that set up. It easily sliced and diced 3" thick Karri. No mean feat!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Its a great saw Steve, I am sure you will get long service from it. With regards to cast alloy bases, believe it or not the GMC 91/4 inch platinum saw has one also. I owned one in the past and I have to say it was an excellent saw for the money.
    You can never have enough planes, that is why Mr Stanley invented the 1/2s