Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default G'day new to the forum but not wood

G'day all

I am new to this forum and over time hope to be able to contribute in some small way. I have been collecting, using and restoring things made from wood for the past 19 years. I mostly am interested in collecting and restoring antiques, especially if made from cedar and as well restoring my two historic homes. My first one dates back to the 1840s and my more recent purchase dates back to 1824.

Needless to say both of these houses have a lot of old woodwork in them. As a purist, I have been restoring these by stripping (by hand mostly) all the doors, mantles, architraves, windows and skirtings by hand and french polishing the timber. The floors are being sanded by hand also so as not to loose the patina and then mostly have been french polished, with follow up treatment using Tung oil.

In restoring the houses, let alone furniture, I have managed to find a lot of old wood, as well as correct joinery to re-install where lost over the years.

The hard work on my second property has only just commenced with the recent stripping of some of the cedar joinery and re-installing of colonial baltic pine 6 panel windows, and recycled window cills etc. Happy days. Cheers all Dave

Thumbs up

G'day Dave and welcome to the fun.

I can imagine you will also be hitting the renovation forums.

HI Dave, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you aboard
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thanks guys I guess I will be . Good to be on board. I never new this existed until yesterday when I stumbled across it. Good to be able to discuss all sorts of rennovating experiences, gain insights into methods to sort out things and learn things, let alone come across new tools, bargains etc etc. Much to learn here that is for sure. Dave

Welcome to the club Dave
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!