Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Volunteer Firefighters

Who around these parts is a volunteer firefighter?

I ask this only as a curiosity......I was going to put it in the "Polls" section, but a yes / no option seemed stoopid.

With reported 70,000 volunteers in NSW alone, there have to be a few on this BB, don't there?

I'll kick off;

Brigade: Warrimoo Bush Fire Brigade, Blue Mountains (RFS)
    Service: 7 years
    Other info:
    President of Brigade.
    Driver of the big truck with the flashing lights and the sirens and stuff.

Anyone else care to put their hand up? I'm looking at you, Journeyman Mick. You too, Doughboy and havenoideaatall. Wood Borer - you in yet?

This isn't a chest beating exercise, just wondering who has similar interests to mine outside of woodwork.

Retired member

Quote Originally Posted by Felder View Post
    Brigade: Warrimoo Bush Fire Brigade, Blue Mountains (RFS)
    Service: 7 years
    Other info:
    President of Brigade.
    Driver of the big truck with the flashing lights and the sirens and stuff.
    cheers.

Yes it was interesting seeing it come up in the occupational thread. I also believe from memory that old Journeyman is a vol firie too.

Brigade: Somewhere in the Dandenongs, VIC
    Rank: Firefighter - next step would in fact be Crew Leader
    Service: 2 years
    Other info: Got a HR licence but choose at this stage not to drive the tanker for which a MR plus CFA nod is required.
    Done all the Strutural courses including BA and Search and Rescue.

Love it. Keeps me sane.

PS Enough of the Havenoideatall (big regret that - although when it comes to all things wood its true) It's 'HaveNo'.

I thought of joining up but my mate would kill me because he's the SES leader down here and he wants me to join them. So looks like when I pull my finger out I'll be searching for lost bushwalkers instead.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    I thought of joining up but my mate would kill me because he's the SES leader down here and he wants me to join them. So looks like when I pull my finger out I'll be searching for lost bushwalkers instead.
    Problem with SES, as someone summarised once, was that you spend more time in the rain chucking a tarp over some old dear's roof and not enough of the same said time surrounded by chicks all panting over the fact that you are basically a god and good all-round hero. That's the long and short of it.

Ahh but I've had the discussion with him and he only wants me to be on call for search & rescue. None of this farting about with chainsaws in the rain malarky

When I move on to the block in Lancefield I'm joining the Lancefield CFA.
    Photo Gallery

Since there's too much water where I live for a fire to start, I was once, and will again in the near future, be a member of the Volunteer Coast Guard.

Does that count?

P

That sounds like an organisation for chaps...

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    Since there's too much water where I live for a fire to start, I was once, and will again in the near future, be a member of the Volunteer Coast Guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    That sounds like an organisation for chaps...
    Yeah! Wot Silent said! Start yer own thread!

Retired member

Yep, I'm in the local RFS brigade, lowly firefighter with the basic course under my belt. Not too interested in stepping up further, there seems to be enough of the gung-ho types around...can never have too many Indians I reckon!!
    I think belonging to something like this is a must if you move to a small rural community, to meet people, to indicate you want to be thought of as a local not a blow-in, and pitch in when times get tough.

Good onya Felder!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Brigade: Lonesome Creek Rural ,QLD. Near Theodore.
    Service: 15+ years
    Other info: Very rarely get called out, usually some motorist calling 000 with a false alarm. Haven't had to call on the troops since being 1st Officer (about 5 years).
    Haven't got big truck with lights and sirens and stuff, just a couple of mop up units and access to farm machinery(dozers etc.) if needed.

Cheers
    Buzzer

I am a 12month veteran of the local CFA brigade!

Main reason was to something worthwhile for the community. Done my basic wildfire and structural courses et al. Got a "nod" to drive the trucks + the licence.

Due to work I really only go out in the middle of night to idiots that forget that their cars are meant to stay upright on the black stuff, a few house fires and anything that may pop up on a weekend.

I like it when I can keep away from the gung-ho BS, that a few insist on! Happy to "plod" along sooing what I can when I can.

Quite interesting that the majority of residents have no idea that we are a completely volunteer based fire brigade. So maybe even if we have no idea what we are doing we must look like we have an idea of what we are meant to be doing! The PR hose does a good job!
    Cheers,

Matt Spl@tt
    "Better off the World to Think you're a fool, than open your mouth and prove it!"

3rd officer, local RFB
    Logistics officer, area Rural Fire Group
    Brigade and group S**t stirrer on matters to do with fair treatment of volunteers.

I Live and work within a few 100M of our shed and truck, during our season I have a hand held 2 way radio with me most of the time so I know what's happening. Keeps me out of trouble and is a good way to get to know people and the area well.

Buzzer, I think you'll find there will be a push to get you (and any other active volunteers) trained to FM1.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Mee too. RFS... Kyogle HQ.... Haven't been to a fire in months though, which has given them the shites because we're low on members.

Got me Medium rigid....so they get me to drive the cat 1.....air conditionings nice.. but its a bit boring in there.

What I REALLY like is being right in the middle of the action....soaked in sweat with a nozel in my hand, dodging falling trees and saving damzels in distress.... particularily like carrying the pretty ones in nighties over me shoulder, out of burning buildings (just in the nick of time). Good browny points them.

Firefighter with Longley Volunteer Brigade 1977-1991 , went oversees then returned and moved to Margate volunteer firefighter 1994-2001 knee buggered up so couldn't handle the bush situation, now retired from the SFS as a volunteer.

I preferred to stay a firefighter, more enjoyable than having rank, I used to have enough of that at work.

Kev