Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Power point in the vanity?

I am in the middle of renovating the bathroom. I spoke with an electrician today who said that the existing power point in the bathroom is too close to where the new shower is going to be. He suggested either removing the power point completely or else relocating it to inside the new vanity unit or inside the recessed mirror cupboard above it. We only need a power point for the electric toothbrush but this needs to remain attached to the power even when not in use. I do not like the idea of storing the electric toothbrush inside either cupboard when it is charging but think it would look strange to have the toothbrush sitting on the vanity and the power cord going into the cupboard. Does anyone else have a power point in a cupboard in their bathroom? Does this work? Any other solutions to this problem? Please!

Default GPO in Bathroom

Post us a plan of the bathroom showing locations of bath, basin and shower and we can suggest an approved location for the GPO

Cheers
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Sorry, but I'd rather have a cord going into the cupboard and know that I wasn't risking life or limb when cleaning my teeth.

If there's any doubt, move the GPO. Electricity and water do not mix.

Be safe

cheers
    Wendy

Your sparky is right as there are standards for GPO's in wet areas.

The only way is to put the GPO in the vanity.

Put it in the mirror cupboard and modify the cupboard (move a shelf?) so it can take a toothbrush whilst charging.

woodbe.

I asked the above question all wrong.

I accept that based on the size of our bathroom and the nearness of the shower that the only options are either no GPO in the bathroom, or else one in either the vanity or the mirror cupboard. I've decided to fit it into the mirror cupboard and have a cord running out of this to the toothbrush, which will be left on the vanity top as it is often a bit wet after it's been used. The challenge now is to make this set-up look attractive [or at least not too ugly].

sounds like a past member to me !!!!!!!!!!
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Default toothbrush

If you have a vanity unit, mount the toothbrush charger/holder on the outside side of the cabinet and drill a hole through the side of the vanity cabinet for the cable to run to a GPO inside the cabinet.

I still say post us a scaled layout of the bathroom and we may be able to suggest a location for the GPO that complies with requirements.

cheers
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

The option of putting the GPO in the mirror cupboard is good. You do need some sort of hole on the edge to allow the cord to run out to run shaver, trimmer, hairdryer, curler, whatever that needs you to look in the mirror at the same time.

One suggestion to not have a permanent charging item hanging out of the cupboard is to use a manual toothbrush! Only a suggestion, your choice, not being a smarty, just trying to help.

Another suggestion is to keep electric toothbrush in cabinet, stops the cockies crawling all over it in the dead of night.
    Traba non folis arborem aestima

Juan, I have posted a scaled drawing of the bathroom in another thread "Feedback for shower design" a few weeks ago. The shower rail will be on the wall at the bottom of the picture, and the existing GPO is next to the window on the top right hand side of the picture. The shower will have an extendable head and we want to keep the GPO on the left hand side of the vanity. Electrician said distance from extended shower head to GPO was not legal.

Outbackrr, thanks a lot for the mention of cockroaches and toothbrushes. Will keep that in mind whenever I use the toothbrush!

Peter_sm, its my partner who uses the electric toothbrush and I think they are not likely to want to go back to a manual toothbrush.

Anyway, I am in the middle of making the vanity unit at the moment so don't have to make any decisions about the location of the gpo for another week or so.