Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Main Power Board

Just been reading a few posts re power and I'll start by saying that I don't intend to do my own wiring.

I was in a place I recently sold and I came across a gr8t sparky who drew out plans for me to chase new lights and he came in, checked it all and terminated it. Now I have moved some distance away from him...hate that..

I'm looking a fitting a ducted evaporative air con (large unit.) I take it this unit would be best serviced by running on it’s own circuit.

My power board is an old type (house built in 1984).

My question is, I see the merit in fitting a Safety switch, but should I give consideration to a new style power board with RCD’s. I have seen a few S/H but in good nick on ebay for around the $120.00 mark.

Can S/H boards be reused or am I better getting a sparky to fit everything new.

I will also be looking to add a few extra lights and Power/lights to a shed I’m building. (sucker for work, just finished one place…. now starting on another.)

Also, I have just rendered the outside of my house (lucky my brother’s a plasterer) and I bought a new light with a sensor. I want to by able to have this light installed and have 4 x 12v downlights fitted into the eves and hopefully have them switch on and off with the sensor light at the front door. Or am I better off fitting a new light without a sensor…. Fitting the other down lights and have everything run to an independent sensor.

If any one in Perth, NOR knows a sparky who likes the folding stuff and doesn’t mind pointing out any “on your stomach… at the end of the eves chasing”, I’d appreciate there details…. Can trade my brothers’ details for anyone looking for plastering or rendering as well.

I should also say, I’m not having any problems with the current wiring.

I’d appreciate any comments.

Many thanks, Lynds.
    " If the early bird gets the worm....How come the second mouse gets the cheese??? "

I had a sort of similar situation, the house had been rewired, so that was fine, but they used the smallest board known to man. We then bought a u-beaut Smeg oven that needed it's own circuit, which meant we had to disconnect an existing one. Thankfully the old school air conditioner in the lounge was on it's own circuit, so it got the flick (which is fine for the winter).

The old one was also a real eyesore, so it was always going to be replaced. I picked up a brand new one from Rexel for about $95, unpopulated. But it has twice as many spaces and looks a whole lot better, I'm sure you'll agree.

What was the point I was making? Oh yeah, check out somewhere like Middy's, Rexel or any other electical supplier, new switchboards aren't too expensive.
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Please excuse my ignorance but what the hell is 'unpopulated':confused: :confused: . as far as I know I have never seen anyone move into, or out of for that matter, an aircon.

Pete

Red face unpopulated

unpopulated.............nobody there.
    In this case I'm guessing no Circuit Breakers/RCDs etc present.

Bare case.....is that the case:confused:
    Navvi

The switchboard was unpopulated, not the air con (although, last I checked, there wasn't anything living in there either), no circuit breakers included, just the bare switchboard.
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Anthony and Ivan

Thanks for enlightening me... now I can baffle my father in law, a sparky, with my know how....

He will be amazed

Pete

I'm guessing 'unpopulated' isn't the correct term for a switchboard...:confused:
    Cheers,
    Anthony

There is some cheep switchboards 18 pole for about $30 on ebay. I dont know if they are any good.

Thanks atregent,

The new board does look heaps better, and plenty of room.

So I guess the one's of $120 on eBay would be good buying given they are "populated" with RCD's and 8, 15 & 32amp switches.

I'd still appreciate any other comments re the security light question.

cheers, Lyndsay
    " If the early bird gets the worm....How come the second mouse gets the cheese??? "

Quote Originally Posted by atregent View Post
    I'm guessing 'unpopulated' isn't the correct term for a switchboard...:confused:
    Nup. There's no real term for it. An 'unpopulated' switchboard is just a switchboard. When it's all wired up & 'populated', it's still a switchboard

Reg