Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Norton Anti Virus/Firewall

Hi Guys, my Norton Anti Virus subscription is about to expire, Norton are no longer supporting Windows 98SE, which I am running. I don't particulaly want to update to another Windows so does anyone have any anti virus/firewall software they would recommend?????

TIA
    Barry
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck then it's a friggin duck.

Get a free copy of AVG, Zonealarm & Spybot Search & Destroy off the internet.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thumbs up

What Cliff said. 'nuff said.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Baz

If your basic Anti-virus program is still working with 98SE, you should be able to continue to use the NAV virus definition files as they are issued, just the rest of the 'Live Update' stuff won't happen. Until Symantec/Norton decide to totally change the file format for their virus definition files, at which time they are going to have a heap of very unhappy customers (including me) as it will cut off ALL previous customers by requiring them to purchase a new anti-virus prog.

Definitely get ZoneAlarm - it is a better firewall than Norton's as far as I am aware, and get Spybot S&D plus Adaware SE too, then use them & update the definition files regularly (unlike me )

Avast it's free or vet you pay,returned my norton years ago.

Max Ripper

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    Get a free copy of AVG, Zonealarm & Spybot Search & Destroy off the internet.
    Way to go do as Cliff says

Cheers Sam

Thanks guy's, tried to download AVG and Zone Alarm, both times the computer froze. Now I can't get on the net (using daughters computer), repair man still having trouble sorting it out. Looks like I will update and get a new computer with Windows XP. Bloody computers.
    Cheers
    Barry
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck then it's a friggin duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz
    Thanks guy's, tried to download AVG and Zone Alarm, both times the computer froze. Now I can't get on the net (using daughters computer), repair man still having trouble sorting it out. Looks like I will update and get a new computer with Windows XP. Bloody computers.
    Cheers
    Barry
    Was told by a computer "GURU" quite a while ago that Norton's could very easily corrupt your systems, prevent you from loading other AV programs, and were difficult to completely remove, so have steered clear of anything Norton

Normell
    Every day above ground is a good day

Still drinking & driving, but not at the same time

Try these when it's fixed. I got the work free virus software and thought it must be good with 5000 pcs attached. Hmm after two false alarms and deletion of a number of files I deleted it!

Have downloaded these now and no problems and they are free...

http://www.bleedingedge.com.au/forum...pic.php?t=1574
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best..._utilities.htm

You could also try Kerio for a firewall.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by normell
    , and were difficult to completely remove, so have steered clear of anything Norton

Normell
    Norton is almost imposable to remove, unless you use one of their programs to do it. I think it is wipe info on the Norton Utilities disc.

Do a search through NU for "Norton" then delete everything Norton.
    I know, Ive had to do it.

Al

[quote=ozwinner]Norton is almost imposable to remove, unless you use one of their programs to do it. I think it is wipe info on the Norton Utilities disc.

OZ
    Just use regseeker and clean your registry 3 times in a row, then (reboot) be amazed at the stuff it will find and remove.

Max Ripper smart folks been using it for years lol

[quote=Max Ripper]
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Norton is almost imposable to remove, unless you use one of their programs to do it. I think it is wipe info on the Norton Utilities disc.

OZ
    Just use regseeker and clean your registry 3 times in a row, then (reboot) be amazed at the stuff it will find and remove.

Max Ripper smart folks been using it for years lol
    Hopefully I wont have to do it again.

Al

3 times Once a week OZ lol unless you just been hanging in here.

Max Ripper

There was a posting here somewhere a few months ago that Microsoft were 'withdrawing' (cancelling/terminating the licence to use the software) the Win98 compatable file that enabled ISP servers to communicate with Win98 based computers.

I didn't think that it was being taken seriously, but apparently several ISPs now refuse to accept subscriptions from people without Win XP - I have a very P.O.'ed friend who is a Unix 'expert' and can no longer access Pacific Internet with a Unix machine - whatever software Pacific are using now only allows XP based machines to connect.

You might want to ring customer support at your ISP & check if they have changed anything.