Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default damp or water proofing aluminium windows

Hi Guys
    I am renovating a room in a granny flat .The previous owner , perhaps one of the Doddgy brothers used 2nd hand materials.
    Window frames don't have flanges on them an had not been properly sealed and water had got in and was followed shortly after by termites.
    The termites have been dealt with but the water rot and termite damage remains.

I have rebuilt the window frames (and remaining wall) in hardwood as they had a mix of what ever the guy could get but it was not treated.

Consequently the termites had a field day with damp hardwood and the softwood bait left for them.

My new timber is hardwood from a bush mill buy not termite treated. Any recommendations on treating the timber myself with something to keep the termites away.I was thinking of creosote diluted in diesel.

Should he windows have the bitumen aluminum sheet between them and the frame.I was intending to use that on the floor plates.If this is not suitable could someone advise on the correct method.
    Thanks in advance

Grahame

Grahame,

I take it this is a timber stud wall? Generally, infill windows can be fitted over a flashing "tray" that slopes up slightly as it goes inside. This is good to do in Alcor (the bitumen/sand coated stuff you refer to). The tray turns up at the edges about 2" and is let into the opening frame by making sawcuts about ½" deep, sloping down to the outside. You pin the Alcor edges into the sawcut with a couple of clouts.

If you cut the length a little over, then "dress" it to fit by carefully lapping and tapping closed once the ends are pinned. Better than too short. The long inside edge of the tray flashing is usually turned up and tacked to the back edge of your reveal lining, covered then by architrave or nosing. On the outside, try to make your flashing tray lap over the architrave or timber sill, so that any water which made it in, doesn't linger.

Set the window height on fibro packers and similarly pack the sides for fix-off. I like to fasten through my packing. Make sure to use a compatible fastener material like stainless if there is no reveal lining to fix through.

Regards, Adam.

Thanks Addo

That was valuable info .I am on to it and will implement forthwith
    thanks again
    Grahame