Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography

Default Photography

Can anybody direct me to a forum similar to this one on photography?
    I have been looking on the net but all leads I follow seem to take me to someone trying to sell me a course. I currently have an SLR old film version and whilst intending to keep it I am looking to add a digital SLR. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and feel somewhere like this where we can share ideas and experience is just what I need.

Cheers
    Bob W

Bob,

Go directly to http://www.dpreview.com and click on the "Forums" link.

If you can't find a forum there that suits your needs, then you may as well give up!

Cheers,

P

An Australian forum is dslrusers.com. It's quite active and very helpful.

Chris
    Photo Gallery

http://www.wetcanvas.com has a photographic forum together with a massive art section. There are over 10,000 members and very active from all over the world and is very well supported.

(Couldn't post the usual url address because of library internet restrictions.)Fixed for you John.
    Last edited by RETIRED; 23rd February 2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding URL.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Here's another Australian forum for you to have a look at. It has a forum for practically everything -

http://www.passionforpixels.com/
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonay in one hand - Strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - "WOO WOO...What a ride"

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Fellas
    I knew if I asked a question here I would get the good oil. I have had a quick look at all four sites and have added them all to my favourites list. I will have a more in depth look over the weekend but I am sure I will get all the info I need and can use. Once again thanks for your help.
    Cheers Bob W

G'day - I pop in to this one every now and then:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
    Cheers,
    Andy

"There's more wisdom gained in listening than in speaking"

www.worth1000.com has a forum that may be of interest - very American.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Bob, I've been in and out of too many photo/image forums and newsgroups since the internet started. The only advice I would offer is to look for forums where users regularly demonstrate their craft by posting at least some of the actual pics they take and not just rabbiting on about their "digiwhojarthingo having more pixels per cubic litre that can shoot a bazzillion frames per nanosecond".

Cheers

Bob, suggest you have a look at PhotoSIG, I've been a member for couple of years now, it's an international forum that caters to all tastes and no one tries to sell you anything.
    Jon.
    http://www.photosig.com/go/main
    Jon.

Default Wot Tha

How come I couldn't find any of these forums. Must just be gettin' old and stupid. Well always been stupid but must be gettin' old.
    Maybe instead of buying a new camera I should sell the old one, buy or make a rocking chair, and go sit on the verandah and watch the world go by.
    Thanx again
    Bob W

Do you have anything in mind as far as a new camera is concerned Bob, or are you still researching?
    Jon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob w View Post

How come I couldn't find any of these forums. Must just be gettin' old and stupid. Well always been stupid but must be gettin' old.
    Maybe instead of buying a new camera I should sell the old one, buy or make a rocking chair, and go sit on the verandah and watch the world go by.
    Thanx again
    Bob W
    Jon.

Jon
    I thought maybe a Fuji SLR or a Pentax has been suggested. I really don't know much about camera's or photography but have had a Practica SLR for about 35 years with a standard lens which I drag out on hols and other special occassions. SWMBO and I are going to NZ later this year so I thought a new camera with some type of zoom lens for panoramic shots might be the go. But as I stated I don't have any real knowledge of the subject so thought I might join a forum and do a lot of research so as not to be disappointed with the results following our trip.
    Cheers Bob

Check out this thread from dslrusers.com. The 'Which DSLR' question was just asked.

For the record, I would suggest a Nikon D40 or the D80.

Chris.
    Photo Gallery

You will find lots of helpful advice on PhotoSig Bob, I am a Nikon user from way back, an d naturally enough I have stayed with the brand, I now have quite a collection of older Nikon 35mm bodies and all up must have a dozen or more lens's that are compatible with the new Nikon dslr's, though most are manual focus I don't find this to be a problem I much prefer to operate in full manual mode, it gives me total control over the camera.
    I am now using a D200 and my wife has a D80, both excellent bodies, the down side to Nikon is the price of quality glass, you just about have to mortgage the house to buy their best, there are other camera's and lens's available that are just as good, Pentax recently got an excellent wrap in fact just pipped the D80, and Canon mid range bodies are top notch my daughter uses a Canon Rebel with an assortment of Canon glass that she is delighted with.
    Somewhere in my memory I recall features of the Fuji that are not up to par with the 3 brands I have mentioned.
    Let me know if I can can be of further assistance.
    If you are running XP I can help with lots of practical tips to help get the best out of your dslr, I find my D200 and XP to be a marriage made in heaven, use it almost daily.
    Jon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob w View Post
    Jon
    I thought maybe a Fuji SLR or a Pentax has been suggested. I really don't know much about camera's or photography but have had a Practica SLR for about 35 years with a standard lens which I drag out on hols and other special occassions. SWMBO and I are going to NZ later this year so I thought a new camera with some type of zoom lens for panoramic shots might be the go. But as I stated I don't have any real knowledge of the subject so thought I might join a forum and do a lot of research so as not to be disappointed with the results following our trip.
    Cheers Bob
    Jon.