Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Solar pool heating

I am considering installing solar heating for my pool. I wonder if other members have done this, and whether they consider it worthwhile. The questions I have are:

1. By how long can I expect the swimming season to be extended, after installing solar heating?
    2. What is a ball-park estimate of cost for a system to heat a 70,000 litre salt-water pool?
    3. Is the system likely to be expensive to maintain?
    4. Generally speaking, is solar heating a good investment?

Rocker

Have you had a roam around the web Rocker?. This one has a calculator thingo that may work out a price for you;

http://www.proswimdirect.com.au/pool...tegory34_1.htm

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Rocker

With your ancestory surely you don't need solar heating for the pool.

I read a diary that a Devon clergyman had a cold water bath every morning a couple of centuries ago.

Just think how nice this was in January/February.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Jow,

I attended a boarding school in the last century where cold baths every morning before the pre-breakfast lesson were mandatory. Hence my interest in a heated pool.

Rocker

Rocker,

I've had it installed on my 55Kl salt water pool and we love it.

1. Depends upon how much sunlight your collector receives in your area and how long (Soon in the season) you are willing to run the pump. But generally it will add two to three months to your swimming season.

2. No idea, but mine cost me $3100 fully installed.

3. Not expensive to maintain, just the added cost of running an additional pump for several hours per day! My ticker skipped a beat when I opened my first electricity bill after having said heating installed.

4. Yes! We have had the water temp. up to 29 Deg. (I know, that's nothing for you in Qld )
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Rocker

Not pool related but, we installed solar hot water last year and we love it.
    In the warmer months we turn off the power all together, so we get about 6 months free hot water.
    Even in winter when the sun shines, you can feel the difference in the hot water.

Al

Tankstand,

Thanks. you have answered all my queries

Ozwinner,

Yes; I had solar hot-water heating in Darwin, and never had to use electricity for that purpose at all. I just wish I had it here, but I doubt if I would recover the capital cost before I start to push up the daiseys, or bindii's.

Rocker

My father in law is the tightest man and know and he put solar heating in as he wouldn't pay to run the the gas heating. It's set on automatic and he jsut lets it run. He doesn't complain about the running cost (and he would) so it can't be too much.

This is in gippsland btw.

Simon
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse