Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Fasteners for Kwila Deck to steel joists

I am seeking information regarding fasteners for an exposed kwila deck which is to be laid on 2mm thick steel box joists.
    The joist manufacturer [Onesteel] recommends the use of a Max Tool nail gun Model CN-650M-FAP50V9 and "MAX Nail" 38mm x 2.5mm 304 Stainless steel HARDENED twist nails.
    Unfortunately these nails are out of stock at the wholesaler and will take 8 weeks!! to get from Japan.
    If anyone has information on where I can get a box of 4000 of these nails sooner [on the Gold Coast] or has experience of an alternative fastener for this application , I would really appreciate the feedback.
    P.S. Onesteel recommends that screws are NOT used for external decks on steel joists.

Default Deck

why cant you use screws on a deck into steel joists, i would have thought that is what you would use and not a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by HandP
    I am seeking information regarding fasteners for an exposed kwila deck which is to be laid on 2mm thick steel box joists.
    The joist manufacturer [Onesteel] recommends the use of a Max Tool nail gun Model CN-650M-FAP50V9 and "MAX Nail" 38mm x 2.5mm 304 Stainless steel HARDENED twist nails.
    Unfortunately these nails are out of stock at the wholesaler and will take 8 weeks!! to get from Japan.
    If anyone has information on where I can get a box of 4000 of these nails sooner [on the Gold Coast] or has experience of an alternative fastener for this application , I would really appreciate the feedback.
    P.S. Onesteel recommends that screws are NOT used for external decks on steel joists.
    How about these: http://www.buildex.com.au/products/p...ck+%2D+fencing

Red face use wingteks

I Built a deck in 2004-5 using 2mm thick 50X100 rhs as bearers. I used wing tecks to fix Iron wood decking. first laid duct tape to stop water leaching the galv coating.

I like to know why One steel don't recomend screws, worked fine for me. far as I know all is still standing, no probs.
    John

"Wouldn't be dead for quids"

I don't know why either but it states it very clearly in big letters on the installation guide. I got tired of having this argument with other people. It's simple: if you want One Steel to recognise any warranty claim you might have in the future, it's best to install their products the way they tell you to.

Get yourself a Duofast coil nailer. You should be able to get the nails they recommend fairly easily - the code is on the back of the installation guide. I live in a pokey little town in south coast NSW and my local guy got hold of a box over the weekend.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Default Why not to use screws in Duragal steel box joists

Apparently if the deck is fixed with screws, water can get down through the timber past the screw (as the timber shrinks with age) and it then runs into the joist where the screw goes through the steel. If enough of the screws leak, the water builds up inside the joist and rots (rusts) it out from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by marineman
    I Built a deck in 2004-5 using 2mm thick 50X100 rhs as bearers. I used wing tecks to fix Iron wood decking. first laid duct tape to stop water leaching the galv coating.

I like to know why One steel don't recomend screws, worked fine for me. far as I know all is still standing, no probs.