Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking g'day - stair stringer advice

Hi everyone,
    I'm a Canadian ex-pat now residing in Hobart. Great place. While I miss the Canadian winters (sometimes) this is pretty tough place to beat!

My family and I bought our first house a couple of yeas back and it needs a fair bit of work. It was built in 1994, but was poorly finished. After dealing with bench tops, cupboard doors, Gyprocking ceilings, a lot of fencing and various other things it is time to upgrade the stairs. The major stumbling block is determining stringer dimensions.

I am planning a closed stringer, total rise 2620mm and run 3250mm with 14 risers (250mm going, ~187mm rise). Staircase width is 900mm. Being in Tassie, I'm planning to use Tassie Oak. 240mm x 42mm is readily available, but I suspect that's not sufficient, so I will probably need to go to 290mm x 42mm? I want the best I can get, but am on a tight budget. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

to work out dimensions try www.blocklayer.com handy site for building and yes 240 too small as tread
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Welcome to the forum
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Hi fubar,

Thanks for the advice. I should have been a bit more specific. What I am after is the stringer stock size dimensions. I've already worked out the rise and run, tread size, etc., I just don't know what stock to use for the stringer.

Welcome to the forum.

With Tas oak / Vic Ash I generally use laminated 285 x 33 for wall strings and 285 x 43 for outer strings. I was a bit skeptical about using the laminated product at first but have found it really good. When clients here laminated they seem to think of plywood but when they see a sample most are happy to go with the laminated

Thanks, I was thinking I would have to go with 285. Where do you get the laminated Tas Oak? I haven't seen that before.

Hi Cycledude,
    Not sure where you would get the laminated Tas oak in Hobart but over here in the West I get it from a couple of the more serious timber sellers (Austim and APP) It may be marketed as Vic Ash but why they would do that in Tasmania I don't know. I would try some of the non hardware timber yards
    Ben