Hi,

We've just had a garage conversion completed and we're now getting ready to lay the new floor which will be direct stick 19mm Blackbutt TG. The existing floor was painted by the previous owners and looks to be fairly sound. I've found a few small areas where it can be scraped off but otherwise it's pretty solid. I've also tried a couple of tests - sticking gaffer/cloth tape to the surface and pulling off quickly (a couple of flakes came off at most) and using No More Nails to stick down a small off-cut (adhered very well, no paint removal when I pulled it up).

So the question is do I need to remove the paint before I lay the flooring ? I was planning to use Selley's VBS then their Direct Stick product to glue the boards down with.

If the advice is to remove it, what's the best way ? I've been quoted nearly $400 to hire a diamond concrete grinder and vacuum by Kennards. Seems like overkill just to remove some paint. There house is about 6 years old by the way and the floor area is around 24 sq m

Cheers

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...