Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xmas presents

Default Xmas presents

My wife is hassling me for ideas of what she and the family/outlaws can buy me for Christmas as I'm notoriously hard to buy presents for (ie if I really want something I'll do a lot of research and then buy it myself).

So are there any good suggestions. I suppose the sort of thing I'm after is something that is a bit of a luxury/novelty. If it was an essential, I'd probably already have bought it or I would want to be involved in the decision. It should be something I wouldn'y buy myself but would be happy to have.

I need to come up with a range of stuff from about $20 to $200, as the outlaws are notoriously bad at getting me presents.

I'm sort of expecting you lot to come up with some really off-the-wall suggestions, but if we can stick to woodwork/renovation ideas that would be great.

As an incentive, there will be rep points awarded to any suggestions that make it onto the list, and I'll be checking it twice.

Just to start you off:
    1. A set of decent chisels (maybe $120)

Thanks

Simon
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Quote Originally Posted by simon c
    1. A set of decent chisels (maybe $120)
    Simon
    May be a bit more than that

How about a Veritas #80 cabinet scraper? $79 from Mik. (I know 'cause I just bought one )

Or a Veritas low angle spokeshave ?

Thanks for the reply Craig.

I should state my woodworking level at above beginner, but not much. So item 1 on my list becomes: A set of fairly good chisels ($120).

I have (inherited) a spokeshave and I'm not really at the cabinet scraper level yet. But you were first and it's Xmas so have some rep points anyway.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Quote Originally Posted by simon c
    (ie if I really want something I'll do a lot of research and then buy it myself).

Simon,

I am a bit like you. I am not into presents. If I want something I would buy it anyway. I would prefer to give people money and let them buy things they want (need).

My wife is totally opposite. She wants something different and special every time. Birthday present, mothers day present, wedding anniversary present and Christmas present. It is so hard isn’t it.

She is changing though. My last birthday present was a copy of FWW and $100 cash. Sadly I cannot do the same to her.

So Simon my friend, ask for a copy of FWW and $200 cash in hand. Trust me you will be a very happy man. Good luck

[QUOTE=simon c]My wife is hassling me for ideas of what she and the family/outlaws can buy me for Christmas . . .

you have enough clamps?

Well you say you are above beginner so you must have a bit of a wish list already. Ever thought of getting the rellos to pool the loot and getting a bit of machinery?

Thanks for all the replies but I'll tell you a bit more of the dilema I have.

I do actually love getting presents. I quite like novelty/luxury stuff that I wouldn't buy myself. So I don't want them to buy me something that I really want, just something that would be a surprise. The problem is that the outlaws (including the wife) are useless at buying presents. They buy things that I already have, or that I'd never use or that just aren't me. So I have to give them a list so that they can then go and get it for me.

I'm not really into the cash or all club together thing as that's for real stuff that I need.

As I said, I'm hard to buy presents for.

So the current list is:
    1. A set of fairly good chisels (craigb)
    2. Some clamps (malcolm)
    3. FWW (Wongo)
    Bob Monkhouse

Gee Simon you make it hard for us...

What about a HNT Gordon Block Plane $125

Paul
    "Looking west with the land behind me as the sun tracks down to the sea, I have my bearings" Tim Winton

Simon,

How about some router bits,

Spiral upcut bit for mortise and tennons,
    rail and stile bits,
    raised panel bits.

etc. etc.etc.....

Himzo.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers

Now tools and stuff can always be bought on the grounds of "that's what I NEED" so how about something that you don't NEED but would be fun to have?

The latest issue of FWW has an ad for a new DVD which has all their online video tips on it (45mins worth) and a new book on Jigs for some nominal (!) sum, and you'd get them here for Christmas if you(she) ordered now.

Or how about the complete set of Workshop/Workbench and Toolbox book in a slipcase for $60 US??

Cheers,

P

so lets get this straight

1... you want something you can unwrap
    2... you want something that is a surprise .
    3... you want something that you are guaranteed to like
    4... you don't want something that you already know that you really want

I think if I were buying for you I'd be giving you a beautifully wrapped empty box cos at least I'd be guaranteed of getting 1 and 2 right

I'd go for the fine woodworking subscription - much cheaper than buying them from the newstand but definately in the luxury category
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

A case of the best quality red your local can recommend for under 200
    Now there's a bit of luxury.

A large bottle in a dispenser stand with contents being your favorite beverage from scotland perhaps - I luv gluteny

Seeing as I will not advocate smocks and jackets under any circumstances as others might I advise that all such presents be of the kind that you can use at the end of the day after a hard day's work in the shop.

A new bedroom water work bench if that's your fantasy/fancy??
    Yes I know I'm warped

See you're not so hard to buy for at all with a little imagination
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jackiew
    so lets get this straight

1... you want something you can unwrap
    2... you want something that is a surprise .
    3... you want something that you are guaranteed to like
    4... you don't want something that you already know that you really want

I think if I were buying for you I'd be giving you a beautifully wrapped empty box cos at least I'd be guaranteed of getting 1 and 2 right

I'd go for the fine woodworking subscription - much cheaper than buying them from the newstand but definately in the luxury category
    Yes, I know I can't have all of them so I have decided to give up on 2, in the hope that I get 1, 3 & 4.

However, that kast time I tried this, I gave them a list of roughly 12 things. On XMas day we handed out the presents and I didn't get a single one off of the list.
    Bob Monkhouse

Once a year I give relos the subscription page from the mags, lots of lovely reading all year.

Rubber matting for infront of the bench - very cushy
    Space heater (no flame) for the shed
    Cooler
    new vac to replace the old shed one.
    A second (third) cordless drill so you don't have to change bits when drilling/counter sinking/screwing.

The perfect present is the one where you said "I like that, but I can't justify getting it"
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

How about some water stones.
    - Wood Borer