Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default skimming a ceiling HELP!!

Hi im going to be skimming a ceiling over old plaster how would i prepare the
    back ground before skimming. plus it is a big ceiling and just wondering is it
    possible skim half of the ceiling and then the over half later its just that i havent fot that much
    experience in it and by the time ive done the full ceiling in one go the part were started form would of gone off.

The materials and methods in the UK are different to what we have in Australia. So to give you proper advise would be difficult. Unless someone from here is from the UK or is familliar with the products.

From what I can gather you skim coat your plasterboard with a "hard" plaster that is much like doing the plaster coat on a rendered wall here in Australia.

I am not a solid plasterer or renderer. But I do know that you would be able to do a section at a time as you will be able to blend one section into the other. Some plasters when green (set but not dry) will peel a bit if you try to go over them again to quick. Someone may correct my post here.

let the section dry up a bit before doing the next section. Then wet down the area with a brush and water where you will be overlapping this will allow you to blend it in without peeling etc.

I will stand corrected if the products used are not what I think they would be.

Cheers
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

thanx for that that has helped a lot