Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Shower massage cubicles

Hi
    We need to replace our lovely brown 70's shower with something new, and were keen on an 'all in one' type of shower cabinet. In my searching I came across massage and steam shower cubicles http://www.apollobathrooms.com.au/sc...ault.asp?cat=5 . They're formed fibreglass, and come with all the fittings etc so you can literally slot them into place and just connect up the water/drain. I found one little import place in Brisbane that sells a small one (900x900mm, with radio, lights and shower jets) for $1600 which seemed really cheap, but they're out of stock for a few months.

So, just wondered if anyone has used/seen these style of shower cabinets, & what you thought of them? Also I'm interested in finding some other place in Brisbane that sells something similiar for comparison, but haven't found one yet.

having something moulded and all in one is ok ... i've got one of those baths where the sides extend up and over to make a roof ... nice and easy to clean

the cubicle looks a bit excessive for a 3 minute water saving power shower though ...... and I have reservations about the built in radio lights etc ... it might be a bit like buying one of those hi-fi stack systems and finding you have to replace the whole lot because the radio has packed in :eek: I'd want to be pretty convinced about the steam business as well .... you don't want to get scalded .... a proper sauna would be a bit safer.

$1600 sounds expensive to me for a shower but having recently seen a $113 bathroom tumbler in a holder I'm prepared to believe that might be the going rate. If it is on the expensive side for a shower cubicle be aware that you are very unlikely to get your money back on it if you sell your house ... all a buyer cares about is that there is a shower, no what you paid for it ....

just read through this ... sorry if I sound a bit negative.

Jackie
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

$113 is nothing, I saw a toilet brush at bretts home wares store the other day priced at $175 what a joke.

blt,
    do you really want/need the massage/steam/music/light options? If you're willing to do without these "neccesities" then you'll get away with a lot less $$. Fibreglass "shubs" (shower tubs) start, from memory from about $300. The shubs have a high step over which is a real pain and restricts resale to non-elderly or disabled persons and certainly makes another bathroom reno neccesary if you want to continue to live there into your old age. The fibreglass shubs also require a bit of preparation work as they require a fair bit of support (pack with concrete underneath) and I'm guessing your $1300 special will be the same. My recommendation would be a cast acrylic tray, lamipanel walls and your choice of screen and door as the cheapest and easiest to fit option.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Thanks for the input guys.
    We've been debating the bathroom reno for about 3 years now, unable to decide what to do about the shower Not wanting a bath in the bathroom, we figured a jazzy shower would be nice - but admittedly I would probably never use it's features

We had planned on getting an Englefield shower unit - it comes with thin lami-panel style walls, a moulded base, and glass wall/door. The quote we got was $2100, not including fittings (and no installation or anything). Incidentally, I got a hell of a shock when I saw how much tap fittings cost ($200-$500 each for the newer styles! Ridiculous!) So after getting a few quotes around the >$2000 we thought $1600 for the cubicle unit was a bargain