Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default good and bad service.

Was at the local supermarket on Monday, at the checkout paid for the groceries on eftpos and got $100 cash out. There was a problem with the machine that approved the transaction but dropped out. Worked OK on the second register. As I'd seen the first one come up as approved, I queried it so the store manager got on the phone to the bank who confirmed that 'No, only one transaction was processed'

Checking the online account today, I saw two identical transactions both debiting the account. I called the bank to ask about it and after jumping through identification hoops ('No, I will not give you my online banking password'), was told that if I require the transaction to be reversed it will take 60 to 90 days to process. Apart from the delay, the attitude and tone of voice from the bank was really annoying ('We have your money so really don't dare')

I went to the supermarket and explained the problem, 'Not a problem' the lady manager said and promptly gave me a cash refund. She acknowledged that the machine had been playing up and that talking to the bank was a waste of time.

Worked out well for me and the supermarket as I spent most of the refund while I was there (they have a really good deli!)

I had a similar experience

I went to ATM in usual shopping Mall. Requested $50 and receipt to look at balance. The machine gave me back my card spat out the receipt the in its robotic way said next please. Here am I standing there like the proverbial shag on a rock, the que is getting bigger, no $50. So I look around for someone to come to the rescue but of course who is going to the aid of a middle aged greying portly fellow(you know the invisible people).
    The next woman had her go and I asked her to see if the machine had given her one two many 50s, but no, it only short changed me.
    Now what???????
    I went out of the Mall and went into the bank to tell them what happened. First they said "Oh you should have gotten your $50 from us and saved a $1 service fee on the ATM transaction because it wasn't one of our ATMs". Great consolation!!!!!!They gave me a 4 page form to fill out and said the only way to see what happened to my missing $50 was to wait for the security company who stocks up the machine to count the money in the machine and check that with the printed slips that come out and see if it is out by $50. The bank also said don't hold your breath because it could take 6 weeks to get an answer....... but its only $50 (don't know why you are bothering) GREAT ATTITUDE

Anyway to cut a long story short I got a pleasant phone call from the bank only 2 weeks later, saying that $50 had been deposited into my A/C due to the security company finding a discrepancy in their transactions and cash in the machine
    Which Bank.........Every bloody bank!!!!!!!!!
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

I used to look after retail stuff, not very long ago, eftpos included. You can normally get things sorted out by talking to the people at the store, and if they are big enough to have their own eftpos server, they should be able to find your transaction(s) and then sort it out from there quite quickly. If they are smaller and rely on dial up EFTPOS, it may take a bit longer for the transactions to show.

It is always best if you find yourself in that situation to keep all printouts, take note of the time and date, who served you, and if possible which checkout/eftpos machine you were on. We weren't that big, only about 40 stores with 130 odd eftpos machines, but we could always find out if the customer had indeed been charged twice.
    Semtex fixes all