Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Carbide tool holder.

When I got my Edgwick lathe there was a box of bits and pieces that was sitting in the tray .
    Amongst the bits was quite a few packets of Sandvik carbide cutting tips .
    They are packs of 10 and there is about 15 or so packets so not an insignificant number of tips ,with three cutting edges each they will last me quite a while as I normally use HSS .
    I called Sandvik to see if they could sell me a holder , and was told that they don't make those tips any more and the holders are not easy to get, they could make one up but for a price , and it would be 20mm square , way too big for the Myford lathe (Edgewick is not running atm)

Not being one to throw any thing away ,I found an old soldered carbide cutting tool that was missing the carbide ,so decided to make a tool holder to take the obsolete carbide tips I have.

I started by hogging the body of the holder down to just under 1/2" in the mill , then I machined the base to seat the carbide tip onto.
    The drilled a small hole to clear the rear tip of the carbide tip and machined a 60Deg seat for the tip.
    I used a piece of 8mm stainless keysteel to fashion a clamp and drilled and tapped the body to take a 4mmx0.7 thread , and drilled another hole to take a 3/32 roll pin to locate the clamp.
    I then filed the sides and top to get a reasonable finish and used gun blue to blacken the whole thing .
    Results are in the pics.

Edit : just noticed in the pics the part no is still evident on the piece of key steel ,it was floating around in the top draw of my toolbox ,left over from my days in the mining industry.IIRC correctly it came out of a sulphur pump .
    As I said before I don't throw much away .

Kev
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Nice bit of recycling Kev
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Nice job on the tool holder.
    A few dollars worth of tips there. They would have been around $10 each when they were purchased.
    I have a box of tool holders and tips that I have accumulated over the years, don't have a lathe big enough or powerful enough to run them at the moment but maybe one day I will.

regards
    bollie7

That's really nice work Kev.
    Best home made holder I have seen for TPMR inserts.
    How well does it go on your lathe???
    I use the same tooling for LH and RH general turning, and find TPMR quite OK for most of the stuff I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    That's really nice work Kev.
    Best home made holder I have seen for TPMR inserts.
    How well does it go on your lathe???
    I use the same tooling for LH and RH general turning, and find TPMR quite OK for most of the stuff I do.
    We used them a fair bit at the mine where I worked , we did a lot of stainless 316 , and 306 . Actually I think that's where these might have come from the guy who gave me the lathe ,worked at the mine also.

Did a short test run seems to work ok , surface finish wasn't that great ,probably need to up the feed and speed from what it was when I tried it out .
    Was a bit worried that the clamp wouldn't hold but seems to be fine.
    Got a job for it this weekend so I'll drive it harder.
    Might knock up another so its like a v tool so it cuts left or right.

Kev
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx