Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Choosing the right paints for a table

I have recently completed a table that will be used solely for beer games but have yet to find an appropriate type of alcohol resistant paint or even how to go about it really. Do I need to prime the table first before painting? Does it need a finishing?

Welcome to the forums BT!

Have you got a picture of your table? It helps us answer your questions...

By "Paint" what do you mean?

Do you want a clear timber finish or do you want a coloured typical paint finish...

What is the table made out of....Timber or MDF

A laminated top is the most hard wearing or you could even get a glass top over your table.

If you want a varnish...I would suggest polyurethane either spray on or wipe on but it can be brushed if you have a good quality brush and careful brushing. You will need about 3 coats with a light sand between coats.

If you are going to use a solid typical coloured paint, You need to undercoat it and then finish it with two top coats... I would recommend a good quality oil-based enamel as it is harder wearing.... It can be sprayed or brushed but must be given a light sand between coats. Sprayed will always look better.

As we are in Australia, we really don't know what is available in Canada so I would suggest you go along to a good quality or reputable paint store and ask them what you should do.

Hope this gets you started on working out what you want to do!

Cheers,

Chipman

I don't have a picture at the moment but I can answer some of the other questions to clear things up.

The finished table is going to be predominantly purple (being the engineering colour) with a crest in the centre. Whether or not it has a glossy finish is really in the air still. For the wood, I used a large piece of fir. Thanks.