Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

View Poll Results: What are the members' general feelings on this?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Copy paper's more important?

3 12.00%
  • Woodworkers don't like animals eating their timber anyway

7 28.00%
  • Jarrah should not be chipped

20 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default No furniture, no Quokka but lots o'paper

G'day,
    This pic is of a WA Jarrah log that a Tasmanian company will chip. So I guess that's why we pay big money for fine furniture timbers and stuff all for copy paper. Not only that, the removal of this timber destroys the habitat of the Quokka.
    There's a thread of evil out there, me thinks.

How do you know that log is going to be chipped? And their arnt to many Quokkas on the mainland as most are on Rotto. I know their are some around Dwellingup Collie and Harvey and unless they are going to log large amounts in those areas i think the Quokka wont be homeless. Maybe some of our WA members can let us know if tey are going to log in those areas?
    That log would look so nice all sliced and stacked in my shed

I can smell the distinct odour of bul$lHT! , I have never seen quokka's anywhere near Jarrah.

While this doesn't mean I want any more Jarrah pulped for paper I also personally don't like quokka's, they're flea ridden, smell and have no personality at all. They are fine where they are on Rotto.

Is that the log out of Kings Park ??

Quote Originally Posted by Red_B' View Post
    G'day,
    This pic is of a WA Jarrah log that a Tasmanian company will chip. So I guess that's why we pay big money for fine furniture timbers and stuff all for copy paper. Not only that, the removal of this timber destroys the habitat of the Quokka.
    There's a thread of evil out there, me thinks.
    Oh no It's a flying quokka that nests in trees

Well said Lignum

Firstly this is shooting from the hip ... where are you getting your "information" from.

Secondly quality logs go primarily as timber ...can't give you the prices at the moment but I can assure you the loggers get much more money for 1st and 2nd (and even 3rd class) logs than for pulp logs. ...Doesn't quite make sense that a quality log would go to chip.

Thirdly yes Quokkas are found on the mainland in some areas but very little of the area of Jarrah country (hence q1.) ... it's a good thing quokkas don't get off the ground and live up trees in fact they prefer grassy areas in open woodland ... looks like they've created a little more "open" woodland and yes they are in numbers that out of proportion on Rotto.

Fourthly I'm glad it's a WA Jarrah log because if it wasn't from WA it wouldn't be jarrah (at least not of that size).

I have got a green bent but I'm also a woodworker and what I really dislike half-cocked remarks like this ... let's get all the facts please. Be very careful if you want to be a woodworker at all! Feel free to ask for facts ... this is not a good way to do it.

There is a lot of jarrah sitting in sheds at mills over this side of the world if people want to pay the price ... they have trouble getting costs back for half of it. Costs are increasing with fuel costs, increasing distance between harvestable logs ... by the time seed trees, habitat trees, etc are marked for preservation ... they've learnt a lot in 150 years of harvesting ... a little before it's too late ... as per most parts of inland Victoria.

I have seen literally tons of jarrah from houses (good clear roofing timber) go down the tip because the salvage yards (that buy it for $1/m) can't sell the stuff ... what's happening guys? Don't we want to put a little time in pulling a few nails and run a metal detector over the timber?
    Ramps

When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way--before one began.

There are a few areas with Quokka on the mainland and most of their habitat is threatened. The pictured log is in the Arcadia forest (South-East of Donnybrook) which is going to be chipped. I will try to attach a GoogleEarth link in my next post.

Arrh yes there has been a lot of media wrt this area recently

now will you please post a photo of a Quokka from the Arcadia block please as no one I know has seen quokka or signs of them in the area for harvest and how sure are you that the intent of harvest is for paper pulp?? If it is, is it to put it to some use before the land is utilised for obtaining the source of your aluminium windows prehaps??

Still more info please ... a source perhaps??
    Ramps

When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way--before one began.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_B' View Post
    The pictured log is in the Arcadia forest (South-East of Donnybrook) which is going to be chipped.

Ahhhh yes i remember that Quokka, isnt it the one who lives under the Big Apple

Oh and tell me Red, have you ever been in the forests of the South West or have you picked all this info up from some newspaper or web site?

G'day,

Felling a tree like that is equal to terrorism in my book.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Just reading the "poll" at the start of this thread ...

Please give me a solution

What do we do with sub grade (like less than 3rd grade) logs that have been cleared due to mining operations?:confused:

I think the economical choices at the moment are a) burn it on the spot:mad: b) allow firewood cutters (commercial or private) to come and get it:eek: or c) chip it for paper .

I think to prevent it being chipped and to prevent all those people from stomping thru pristine habitat country it should be piled up and burnt .... shall I put a poll up
    Ramps

I think the chick in the pic is awsome, looks like she has managed to cut it down with just a shovel

Have there been any surveys to show just how much paper quokkas use? Or how many have shares in APM? How do you know that stopping chipping wouldn't be forcing them into insolvency, thus contributing to a rash of quokkas jumping from office blocks?

Don't give me any of this "everyone knows..." or "it stands to reason" muck. They're just a cheap debating trick and I don't want arguments, I want cold, hard facts.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

G'day Skew,

I did a Google and found documented evidence that Quokkas do jump from office buildings in the protest of their homes being chopped down by women with shovels.

If you look really hard you'll see the quokka, I've highlighted the poor bloke with an arrow for those vision-impaired-can't-see-a-damn-thing-in-front-of-them-persons

Serious.

However, I found that lemmings jumping from cliffs is a myth. (shrug)

(My previous post had a refernce to a troll, but that got deleted :confused: )
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Angry crikey

Yet another reader of Dr Bob's book of Lies, Lies and more Lies.

Tell us your scientific sources. I know a bit about forestry and I don't think there are many native timber species less suitable for paper production than Jarrah. Tasmania has a timber called Myrtle that is dense and red. It is separated from pulp wood stock at source because it is NOT suitable for paper production. Instead it is sold as craftwood and peeled for veneer.

So don't come in here spouting your misguided rhetoric simply because Dr Bob said so.

I just finished an extension to my home and all the framing ws Eco Ash (plantation grown). If I remember correctly Dr Bob was dead against plantation forestry. This type of forestry was developed to reduce our reliance on native forests. Can't work you lot (tree huggers) out. You seem awfully confused...poor petals.

Anyway, post a pic of your woodwork projects or something relevent to this forum otherwise go back to your mung beans and bong. :mad::mad::mad:
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    If you look really hard you'll see the quokka, I've highlighted the poor bloke with an arrow for those vision-impaired-can't-see-a-damn-thing-in-front-of-them-persons
    I can See it! I can see it ... just like the one I saw in Arcadia forest just yesterday ... I told you so.
    Ramps