Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Games

Default Melbourne Games

What's this about God Save the Queen then? Surely HRH deserves her personal anthem.... Comment?

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Who gives a rats whether old Betty gets her personal song? Stuff her and all who sail in her and the games themselves are a waste of energy, money, interest if they are only confined to "Commonwealth" cuntries!

Edited to add: Tis easy to be negative I know but the Commonwealth games really do seem to me to some sort of hangover from the days of the bloody British Empire and all of the irrelevant Bumph that went with it..... Shame we don't still have old "Pig Iron Bob" around to play the super sycophant!

I must agree with Christopha, I believe the concept of a "Commonwealth" to be well past it's "use by date"

Otherwise known as the consolation games. So that all the athletes not good enough at the real games stand a chance of winning something...
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

they have games in Melbourne :confused:
    I reckon you have to be game to go to Melbourne
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Good time to be out of Melbourne, won't be easy to get around with them on and worst of all it's stuffing around with real sport. Carn the Maggies!!!!!

Like they said on the radio the other day 'it not a proper games because it doesnt have a flame..'
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by oges
    Like they said on the radio the other day 'it not a proper games because it doesnt have a flame..'
    Oges, it dose have a proper flame, the Black GST protest group protesting about the "Stolenwealth Games" are bringing with them the "sacred" flame from the campfire at the tent embasy in Canberra. Wonder if the Queen will pop in to say hello

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum
    Oges, it dose have a proper flame, the Black GST protest group protesting about the "Stolenwealth Games" are bringing with them the "sacred" flame from the campfire at the tent embasy in Canberra. Wonder if the Queen will pop in to say hello
    If they are coming from up thataway then they could bring their own Queens with 'em!

I much perfered the winter olympics, THERE was a set of events that relied on SKILL and training, NOT on racial breeding or financial standing.
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Thumbs down

The games are going to cost the taxpayers of this state/country gazillions despite what Smiler Madden and Big Red (Ronny Walker)say to the contrary.
    :mad:
    At the same time parents on the eastern outskirts of Melbourne, are mortgaging their houses to pay for an extra teacher at their STATE Primary School, and people are going home from hospitals with serious, and in some cases life threatening conditions because they get fed up with waiting to be seen, and we have one Police Car patrolling the whole of the Yarra Valley at night with no 24 hour stations in operation. What is the world coming to?
    And we exercise our brains worrying about anacronisms (including the Commomwealth Games!) which have no relevance in our country today.
    Jack the Lad.

I think all the games are a waste of space, time and money.

They are fundamentally unequal, where those countries who spend the most win the most. Australia spends 100s of millions of dollars a year so we can be good and win a few medals.

People like Thorpe are considered heros when in fact they are just genetic freaks.

I can't wait until they are over so I don't have to put up with the crap any more.
    Photo Gallery

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    I think all the games are a waste of space, time and money.

They are fundamentally unequal, where those countries who spend the most win the most. Australia spends 100s of millions of dollars a year so we can be good and win a few medals.

People like Thorpe are considered heros when in fact they are just genetic freaks.

I can't wait until they are over so I don't have to put up with the crap any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackoH
    The games are going to cost the taxpayers of this state/country gazillions despite what Smiler Madden and Big Red (Ronny Walker)say to the contrary.
    :mad:
    At the same time parents on the eastern outskirts of Melbourne, are mortgaging their houses to pay for an extra teacher at their STATE Primary School, and people are going home from hospitals with serious, and in some cases life threatening conditions because they get fed up with waiting to be seen, and we have one Police Car patrolling the whole of the Yarra Valley at night with no 24 hour stations in operation. What is the world coming to?
    And we exercise our brains worrying about anacronisms (including the Commomwealth Games!) which have no relevance in our country today.
    What they said.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird
    Good time to be out of Melbourne, won't be easy to get around with them on
    The traffic is going change from a mere barsteward to gridlock to a fare-thee-well. Not going to be a happy camper:mad:

My "answer" is to get into the CBD before 06:30 and duck around 15:30 ~ 16:00 - at least that's the plan. The first part is easy enough, but getting out of other people's agendas early is a tad trickier - so I've already set my calendar as being 'busy' from 15:30 onwards for each of the days just before mayhem starts through untill a couple of days afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum