Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default John Brown Memorial Welsh Stick Chair Workshop at the ANU

Earlier this years, I had the opportunity to participate in a John Brown Memorial Welsh Stick Chair Workshop at the ANU Furniture Workshop as part of my studies. The visiting artist/teacher was Howard Archibold, who works in the Lower Hunter, were he runs Rare Chairs. The workshop lasted almost four weeks. Howard has been a regular at the ANU workshop over the last eight years, and this year he decided to make a Welsh Stick Chair, as it was the one year memorial to the passing of John Brown the famed Welsh Stick Chair maker. Howard is a very much a traditionalist, he insists on using a treadle lathe, and his work is very much in the classic vein.

The technical aim of the workshop was for the students to experience the working working of green wood, and to appreciate the structure of wood and the working of green wood with hand tools.

I had the opportunity to go out with Howard to a NSW State forest were we meet up with a logger, we picked a 45 m White Mountian Ash, and the logger took it down with the chain saw, which was some experience to see this living tree, and to touch it, knowing that in less then two weeks you would be taking this living tree to an object recognizable as a chair is very unique experience.

The most memorial part of logging the tree was the water gushing out of the tree as it was cut into segments, you could have easily filled a cup from ends in a few minutes and yes I tasted it, it was much like river water mixed with black tea, which is understandable noting the tannins in the tree itself.

Once the logs were docked to length with the chain-saw this project was undertaken using old hand tools.

The Ash logs were split with wedges, then broken down further with a froe, then all components were shaped and sized using shave horses, drawknives, and spokeshaves. The Seat, arms, doubler (the piece that sites above the arms at the back) and the crown were made from Elm, sourced from around Canberra. The Seat shaped using an adze to do the bulk of the waste removal. Elm is a surprisingly tuff timber (Elm has incredible short grain strength), and it was hard work using the adze but it only took me about 45 minutes to do the bulk of the adzing. It took others much longer, one girl took almost 4 hours over a few days, and two people needed to buy new shoes after collecting them selves with the adze, and no it was not me. Then we used small compass planes and spokeshaves to finish the shaping of the seat. I went for a very curved lines, I wanted to replicate the keel of an old wooden warships.

The arms were my own take on the traditional forms, and I think it is the best part of the chair. I cut that shape out using only a large bowsaw, it took me a good 30 minutes to work my way around the curves of the arm. The chair is a very large chair, it needs to be to fit me. The height of the seat is 21" considering a normal chair is between 16" to 19" its a high chair. Its also very broad and extremely comfortable. I have fallen asleep in it, and for me that is a hard thing to do in a chair.

The making of this chair was an extremely trying time for me. It was a challenge to work almost purely by eye, Howard encouraged us to use our eyes to see, and to measure with them, and to not run like little girls to a dial calipers. It was physically exhausting there were time when I could not open my hands they were so cramped from holding the tool for hours on end. Enlightenment through physical Exhaustion.

One slight Art's & Craft influence was the small Yellow Saffron Heart Insert in the Middle of the Chair arms. I do not have a photo of the rear of the chair however the insert is raised at the back as in a pyramid jewel form. This was done, because it helps to draw the eye into the back of the chair, reducing the impression of a big vast space that is the seat. Plus I just cannot help myself, I love doing inlay work.

The finishing of the chair was achieved without any sand paper, I felt that I would like to retain a certain rustic feeling to the chair. So the finish was simple scrapping all the surface leaving small tools facets as much as possible. I ended up using plain traditional wax on the the Ash, however I wanted the color in the Elm to pop. Also while scrapping I became aware of the variance between the spring and summer growths in Elm. The softer spring growth would hollow out more then the harder summer growth, during scrapping. This means that the surface had these ripples in it, which has a real tactility to it. So I took advantage of this. I mixed Vandike Brown artist pigment into some traditional wax, to make a dark slurry. I then rubbed this into the Elm, working it into the softer summer growth bands, which sucked it up, while the harder summer growth remained unchange, the effect is what you see in the photos is this strongly contrasted banding that still retains a natural appearance. In the end I was very happy with the finish. Over the years the Ash will yellow and the Elm with mellow, I think she will age gracefully.

I would definitely do it again, we still have a few section of ash laying outside the workshop and I am keen to try making a post and rung stool. Howard is now 64 and is talking of retiring, he has been making chars for 20 years now, we are trying to get him to come back next year. If you do have the chance to attend his workshop, I highly recommend it.

While I have only skimmed the surface, I hope the photos of my finished chair will inspire others.

PS. I write this from My Welsh Stick Chair at my Desk.

Hi TS,

Great work, and a great experience by the sound of it. You are lucky to be able to do a course like that... (I'm green with envy)

The chair looks fantastic, congratulations.

Regards
    Ray

It sounds like you got first rate tuition and the chair looks terrific.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Congratulations TS, you've made a beautiful, aesthetically cohesive chair from a style of chair that is often visually awkward.
    ( I can say that as my mums family were Welsh carpenters and cabinet makers).

Top work boyo!

Congratulations, a brilliant post and a great looking chair.

cheers
    Derek

Sitting at my desk in my Double Bow Windsor, reading your post brought back very pleasant memories of the course I did with Howard at his place at Moonan Flat.
    As said, everything is done in the traditional way, and Howard is a skilled and patient teacher.
    If he is still running the courses at Moonan, I can't recommend them highly enough, but a word of warning.
    It is BLOODY HARD WORK,We made our chairs in 10 days, but I think Howard has lengthened the course. Either way, get fit before you go.
    Your chair is beautiful.Congratulations.

PS It's Archbold---no "I"

wow - nice, and just last night I somehow came across your post where you were considering chucking it in!

Beautiful work TS, and that workshop sounds brilliant!

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Great chair Helmut, I especially like the simplicity of the yellow saffron insert as a subtle but effective highlight.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Thats a beautiful chair mate. I would love to make something like that.

Lovely work TS. I bet you will enjoy it every time you use it.
    Sounds like you are enjoying the course. Keep it up.
    All the best
    kevin

Each time you sit will bring back the experience of crafting this beauty, and congratulations on your wonderful description of the making. I, too, am envious of the opportunity to do the course.

soth

It's a beautiful peice thumbsucker. Thank you for sharing.

Helmut

Nice work, I like your take on the arms

Regards