Hi
We are still progressing with our double brick renovation.

I have googled extensively but still can't determine what is best practice in regard to reinforcing the brick above internal door frames.

My brickie suggested that no lintels are used above internal door frames, but he could use some 6mm rods instead, along with some sand that would sit on top of the door frame.
The sand part sounds a bit dodgy to me, and in any case, from what I have read about the use of rods from a BCA extract, it says that there should be a minimum of 5 courses above the rods, and as standard door frames are 25 courses (rounded up from 2060) and standard ceilings are 28 courses, then rods shouldn't really be used.

One existing internal door frame in our house is setup as attached. Though I suspect that the door frame was installed after initial construction of our home by the previous owner.

As we are renovating there will be a number of door frames, so exactly what is best practice in this regard? Lintels? Rods where there is a minimum of 5 courses above? Or just a door frame with no reinforcing above?

Attached Thumbnails

Read and reply to the full thread at RenovateForum.com....