Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What's the trick to hanging doors?

I will happily admit that all the doors I have hung before have been flukes. My run of luck has come to an end at our front door. It could be pay back for staining it over the varnish that my wife had already done and then sanding the crap out of it so it could be varnished again.

Anyhoo, I can't seem to get it straight. I'm using three lane hinges
    Lane 100 x 65 x 2mm Polished Chrome Fixed Pin Durasmooth Easy Fit Hinge - Bunnings Australia
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/lane-100...saArhPEALw_wcB

The big question is, when the door is closed, how far out should the hinges sit?

If I understand your question correctly it is just the barrel of the hinge that the pin passes through, the leaves should be fully mounted to the door and jamb.

Personally I would not be using easy fit hinges on an external door, rather something like this
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle...-pack_p0074264

The above links include a video that will give a clue or two. There may be better videos if you hunt for them.

I liked the idea of airbags that were shown in the video. Never seen anything like them before.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    If I understand your question correctly it is just the barrel of the hinge that the pin passes through, the leaves should be fully mounted to the door and jamb.

Personally I would not be using easy fit hinges on an external door, rather something like this
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle...-pack_p0074264
    what's up with the hinges we have? the one's you linked to look a lot nicer mind you. and "fully mounted" means the barrel should be resting nicely up against the jam and the inside edge of the door itself?

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolFlynn View Post
    The above links include a video that will give a clue or two. There may be better videos if you hunt for them.

I liked the idea of airbags that were shown in the video. Never seen anything like them before.
    i haven't seen the little airbags before either. when i was a kid, dad used to hang the doors by himself with a spade and some old flat headed screwdrivers. don't recall how he protected the floors but he must have as mum would go berko if we dragged anything around (read: dragged each other around) on them.

the answer was in the video. barrel rests against the edge of the door and the other side, against the edge of the jamb.

thanks droog

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    what's up with the hinges we have? the one's you linked to look a lot nicer mind you. and "fully mounted" means the barrel should be resting nicely up against the jam and the inside edge of the door itself?
    The easy fit hinges only have a single weight bearing surface on each hinge, fine for a light weight door but for a solid exterior door they will wear quickly.
    Another point is they are less solid in construction and are easier to deform so provide less resistance when forced by individuals intent on getting to the other side.

Also if fitting more than two hinges fit top then bottom, alignment for the centre should be by string line / straight edge to cater for any bow in the jamb.
    Make sure there is no bow in the door as it will present issues with mid mount hinges.
    damhik
    Last edited by droog; 3rd June 2024 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    to cater for any bow in the jamb.
    and bow it does, in both directions. the hinge jamb bows outwards and away from the door at the top and then also on the edge side so the middle hinge only just makes it to the jamb. (i will loosen the jamb and try to put some shims behind it tonight). Otherwise, all that remains is fitting the lock and shaving a mm of the bottom so it doesn't catch the door sill.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you may have what's called "wind"* in the door frame. That is it's not square in every direction, especially when sighting any vertical difference in the hinge jamb vs the lock jamb.

*As in "wind the thread around the spool"

Of course, if the frame is made from Willow you'll need help from Mr Toad.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolFlynn View Post
    Of course, if the frame is made from Willow you'll need help from Mr Toad.
    I trust you referenced the other pronunciation of 'wind' intentionally

I was worried he had been talking to my wife. Funny though, we have a daughter who, by all outward appearances, is a dainty, prim, and polite young lady in the making. However, at home, we call her the last airbender. She can make a tuba blush.