Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Filling in defects in Jarrah

I am beginning to make a bar top using recycled jarrah. Some of the boards have splits or cracking in the middle. I have been told that I can use resin to fill the cracks. I have also been told that I could use a mixture of jarrah sawdust and something else but not pva to fill the gaps.
    It was mentioned in one of the forums her but I cannot find it.
    All suggestions will be gratefully received.
    TYIA

Greg
    Smithy

Nitrocelulose ?

Default jarrah filler

Nitrocelulose?
    What is it?
    How do you use it?
    Where do you get it?
    Smithy

Its a lacquer finish.
    I imagine you could mix fine jarra dust into a resin of some sort, polyester fibreglass resin maybe?

Ive used car bdy filler colored to match before and it worked fine.
    beejay

Two part epoxy is best, just plug any holes or build a dam as required with plastercine and pour it in. 24 hours later bingo, near indestructible.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Would saw dust/ sanding dust mixed with sanding sealer work? Just a thought.

Two part epoxy resin works very well. Depending on viscosity / how runny it is (some resins can be pasty / others very "liquid" - runny) you'll need to either work it in with a spatulata / or pour it into the crack / hole. Also, if the split goes right through the workpiece, the underside must be sealed with masking tape or by some other bogging mechanism. If the fill needs to go to the side of you workpiece, then build a "dam" of some kind to stop the resin running out. I find strong masking tape works well.

You may want to colour the resin. You can do this in 2 ways.

1. Buy some brickies colouring oxide and put in very small amounts to achieve the desired colour. A little goes a long way! To get a very similar Jarrah colour, I've found it best to add red oxide first (I use a small heap on the end of a popsicle stick) then add a VERY small amount of black oxide (much less than the red). Mix with the resin and you have liquid jarrah! OR - you can achieve a nice "gum vein" effect by just using black oxide.

2. Using an orbital or belt sander with 180 grit or finer paper and dust catcher - sand a piece of jarrah to get some fine sawdust / powder. Mix this with the resin.

Another option is to leave the resin clear. With some large gum vein holes, it looks kind of interesting to see into the timber. This effect is commonly used on large table tops, especially slab tables.

Good luck

2 part epoxy.
    A dodo makes nice size chips. Depends on size of the holes/splits. May require 2 applications with a sand in between.
    conwood

Quote Originally Posted by conwood
    A dodo makes nice size chips.
    Yes, but they're so bloody hard to find these days. My local hardware store ran out about 150 years ago.

I thought they are extinct................because there were no greenies in those days. If you are lucky enough to find one and use it for chips the greenies will haunt you to the end of your days and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    Yes, but they're so bloody hard to find these days. My local hardware store ran out about 150 years ago.
    Dados are still available, but not at bunnies and mitre 10 type stores.
    conwood :

Quote Originally Posted by conwood
    Dados are still available, but not at bunnies and mitre 10 type stores.
    conwood :
    Sorry Conwood, you may not be used to the sense of humour on this forum yet, we were refering to the fact that you spelled Dado as Dodo, and taking the 91ss out of you the same as we would with anyone else, nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    Sorry Conwood, you may not be used to the sense of humour on this forum yet, we were refering to the fact that you spelled Dado as Dodo, and taking the 91ss out of you the same as we would with anyone else, nothing personal.
    Thanks for correcting me Termite. Looks like I am the only dodo left.
    cheers mate.
    conwood

David Marks on Woodworks (Foxtel) yesterday did a very interesting program on repairing faults and mistakes.
    For filler he used 2 part epoxy with saw dust for colouring.
    I did some boxes in jarrah at xmas and found the timbermate jarrah filler was a very good match on the particular jarrah that I had. Though this would not give a structural repair only a cosmetic one
    Clint