Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluro tubes

Default Fluro tubes

Hi Guys,

Now before you tell me to get an professional, i'm not going to. So best I do it with some advice rather than just do what I think.

Ok, i'm going to wire up some fluorescent fixtures into an office.

Each tube is 40w, there are 2 tubes per fixture and 6 fixtures in total. So that means 480 W in total.

Am i right in saying that I can wire all fixtures up to the same circuit?

For memory the maximum Watts per circuit is 2400 so I think it's cool. But want to make sure.
    <!-- / message -->

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Given that you don't seem to know that watts aren't actually the important part of the equation........then I'd have to say that hiring a professional is the only advice one can give.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Default no simple answer

Hopefully you are not a troll.

There is NO maximum number of points laid down in the standard so there is no simple answer without knowing all the variables of the installation.

You select the circuit breaker to suit the maximum demand & then you have to select the conductor size to suit the circuit breaker taking into account the length of the run & environmental consideration of the run.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

What an idiot.
    Awesome first post.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Might be his last if he goes ahead with that attitude
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Do you really want to switch on 6 lights at once????????

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Hopefully you are not a troll.

There is NO maximum number of points laid down in the standard so there is no simple answer without knowing all the variables of the installation.

You select the circuit breaker to suit the maximum demand & then you have to select the concuctor size to suit the circuit breaker taking into account the lenght of the run & environmental consideration of the run.
    Thanks cliff, for the only sensible answer to my question.

I think I will get a mate of mine (who is an electrician) to advise me first, then just do the work my self.

Give your mate a slab of beer. At least it will be done properly and legally.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Now before you tell me to get an professional, i'm not going to
    With that sort of opening comment I take it you were ready for rejection then?

For memory the maximum Watts per circuit is 2400 so I think it's cool.
    Might not be cool after the office catches fire!

Am i right in saying that I can wire all fixtures up to the same circuit?
    NO you are not right you are breaking the law and placing yourself and others at risk!

2 Points given for Maths....... 80 watts multiplied by 6 equals 480 watts very good

I take it you will perform a risk assesment before carrying out this work and dont forget to include yourself on this list!!!

Notify your Sparky mate when you are about to start work so he can ring 000 and have the paramedics on standby!!!!

cheers
    Furious toooo

Only serious comment I can make here is that 480 watts isn't the issue. It's the current - are these lights low or high power factor? If low then you'll be drawing around 6 amps, half that for high power factor (very rough figures here).

That said, 6 amps probably won't set anything on fire as long as there's proper circuit breakers installed. No guarantee you won't find them constantly tripping due to overload however.

If someone asks me to confirm that the replacement flexible cord they're fitting to a lamp is OK before they switch it on then to me that's fairly reasonable to answer. They know they're not an expert, it's a simple job and just want to make sure they have it right. Fair enough. But asking how to wire the room up is a different matter. Like asking a doctor for advice on DIY heart surgery versus checking the bandage you applied to a minor cut.

I'm wondering why anyone would use 40 watt tubes in a new installation? They're not easy to get these days and really only used in old transformer start fittings. 36 watt replaced them a couple of decades ago...

why not mount the lights and run the cables and then get your mate to fit off?

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    Give your mate a slab of beer. At least it will be done properly and legally.
    No it wont be Legal

An electrician is not insured or license to give advice on electrical wiring
    Only an electrical Inspector is
    SO both could be in the S**T if caught

$12000 someone got fined recently
    They are cracking right down on this kind of thing
    Electricity:
    One Flash and you're ASH

<TABLE class=tborder id=post667847 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_667847 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #663333 1px solid">I think I will get a mate of mine (who is an electrician) to advise me first, then just do the work my self.
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #663333 1px solid; BORDER- #663333 0px solid; BORDER- #663333 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #663333 1px solid">I think NCarcher just read the the first part of the thread from the fast and the furious without realising that he was still going to do the work himself </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #663333 1px solid; BORDER- #663333 0px solid; BORDER- #663333 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #663333 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Why is anybody even bothering to entertain this fellow

Default Fluro's

Sounds like an ex NASA employee. He's obvioulsy been polishing the rocket
    Colin Howkins
    Graceville Qld

:aussie3:"Stress is brought about by one's inability to find a solution to a problem"