Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Freedom of speech

Hi all
    Ive been censored in the past for things Ive said, and maybe Ive deserved it.
    But last week I was censored ( deleted) for defending myself.
    The other persons remarks are still there, questioning my integraty.
    Is this fair?
    Dont we have freedom of speech??
    Cant I defend myself from what others say to me, or about me?

Al :mad: ( and I dont use, :mad: lightly)

You had all ( the good guys ) better send me your email address, cause I dont think Ill be here for much longer. ( the censorship nazis will see to that.)

Al,

I get censored probably more than anyone else, usually deservedly so. Sometimes I feel that I shouldn't have been. I try not to get p!ssed off about it because spends his own time reading almost every post and needs to determine the suitability of it. being human (we think) applies his own sensibilities on whether a post is inflammatory, derogatory or just rude. This means that the censorship application is a little uneven but without resorting to a committee to handle the censorship issues.

Don’t do a Kenmil.
    Photo Gallery

I've only been censored once so all I can say is chill out Al, don't let it worry you and move on.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Was that about your post where you were helpfull again by doing the research on how many threads being started by you and some anti hijacker nazi ?

Like Grunt said don't do a Kenmil.

Peter.

I often wonder if Kenmill is still lurking ..... or posting under a new username. He is missed.

Al .... dont be surprised if this tread gets closed ...... will do that with all the goodbye posts .....

Now I just need to think back to last week ...... did I say anything to offend you? mmmm .... there was the bricklayer joke but that was today ..... I think I am safe.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Al

Don't go, mate.

This BB would be distinctly the poorer without you. Censorship is always a blunt instrument and being hit by a blunt instrument is always a painful experience.

Stay and let us keep on being uplifted and entertained by your unique contributions.

Col

If it helps, I'll send you another jar of MFKL!
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

I got deleted on the same post for commenting on his way with words. There was nothing inflamatory, derogatory or rude about my post at all. I support in his admin duties as it is a big job keeping you lot in line (and me) but I think sometimes modification rather than deletion is the go.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    ....I was censored ( deleted) for defending myself.
    The other persons remarks are still there, questioning my integraty.
    Is this fair?
    Hey Al.... if you don't like the post, go back to it & click on the little ! sign & report it.

this one....

You can ask for it to be removed too, particularly if it is 'questioning your integraty'.

I didn't see the post/thread so I don't know what this is about but if it's up your nose, say so.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Talking

Maybe it reminded those with the clout of the pic you posted in "what you'd always wanted to do' thread.

But to take away the right of a person to defend themselves is a fast road to authoritarianism.
    At my sons school, he can get expelled for fighting back if he's being attacked by other kids.
    Mick

avantguardian

For what it is worth, I did not censor that post Al. It was deleted because a number of people on the board reported it.

The original statement has been "modified". I do modify some posts but I try not to as sometimes the meaning is lost.

There is freedom of speech and there is being insulting and rude to readers of this board. I have let some things slip through in the past few weeks but common sense generally prevails and some members even censor their own posts.

You cannot talk on this board like you would if you were in the shed with a bunch of blokes. All age groups, nationalities, religions and colours read this board and I intend to keep it as neutral as possible, hence censoring some posts about the Bali 9.

You would have to be thick not to realise that The judiciary of each country or at least some court clerk would not have read it.

This is the nature of the internet. You aren't yakking with your mate over a beer in the shed but talking to the world and everything you say is recorded for posterity.

I try to delete posts with a little bit of humour but sometimes it is very trying.

But to take away the right of a person to defend themselves is a fast road to authoritarianism.
    At my sons school, he can get expelled for fighting back if he's being attacked by other kids.
    PSDefending oneself and slagging him are 2 different things.

PPS I did not close this thread either.

You guys know the rules & IS NOT the only one trying to keep things on track here. IS NOT to blame for all deleted, edited, moved, etc etc threads. You guys would only see a small percentage of what we sometimes prune out.

By clicking on the Agree button when you register to become a member of Woodwork Forums you warrant that: you will not use this Bulletin Board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this Bulletin Board.
    The owner, administrators and moderators of Woodwork Forums have the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    Hey Al.... if you don't like the post, go back to it & click on the little ! sign & report it.

this one....

You can ask for it to be removed too, particularly if it is 'questioning your integraty'.

I didn't see the post/thread so I don't know what this is about but if it's up your nose, say so.

Dosn't actually work that way Cliff. Not all reported posts are pruned.