Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Who makes good Ceramic-Disc Taps?..

Dear Gentry,

Another item that I am sniffing out for the Flat is a new set of Taps. I will most probably opt for some 3/4-Turn (or Full-Turn if there is such a thing) Ceramic-Disc units. If I’m getting the correct gist of previous threads on the subject, I will merely need to buy the new Tap Bodies, and swap them for the current conventional washer-style bodies in the existing combinations in the walls and basin.

A couple of fairly simple questions beg:
    1. Does the quality of the remaining seat in the existing combination have an impact on the performance of the intended new Ceramic-Disc bodies (ie. How the heck does the new Ceramic-Disc Cartridge seal off the old seat?) I have read some previous threads on re-seating, and will happily "retire" my current hand-powered seat-reamer in favour of the drill-powered Hydroseal unit if seat quality is an issue.
    2. I would greatly appreciate any opinions on which Ceramic-Disc tap manufacturer offers the best combination of quality, value-for-money, and a good history of parts-availability? Not looking for anything too fancy, just something solid and reliable at the right price (and don’t worry - I won’t be tempted to go for a Ceramic-Disc Mixer!)

Many Thanks,
    Batpig.

Quote Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
    Dear Gentry,

A couple of fairly simple questions beg:
    [*]Does the quality of the remaining seat in the existing combination have an impact on the performance of the intended new Ceramic-Disc bodies (ie. How the heck does the new Ceramic-Disc Cartridge seal off the old seat?) I have read some previous threads on re-seating, and will happily "retire" my current hand-powered seat-reamer in favour of the drill-powered Hydroseal unit if seat quality is an issue.
    Theres a rubber seal on the bottom of the cd cartridge that seals onto the old seat so it may need reseating if damaged . Have a feel of it and a look with a torch.
    I use the hydroseal reseater with the tungsten tip (which is hard to get) Otherwise the monument hand ones are good or the "lionel Bell reseater" if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
    [*]I would greatly appreciate any opinions on which Ceramic-Disc tap manufacturer offers the best combination of quality, value-for-money, and a good history of parts-availability? Not looking for anything too fancy, just something solid and reliable at the right price (and don’t worry - I won’t be tempted to go for a Ceramic-Disc Mixer!)

Many Thanks,
    Batpig.

Go for the Dorf ones then. You can walk into most suppliers for replacements.

Dear zelig,

I went into a showroom at one of the not-too-far-away Plumbing Suppliers last week, and while the token Bimbo on deck in the showroom (typically) didn't have a clue about which units were 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 turn, and at what prices each type started, she was nonetheless fortunately able to show me a unit out of a box, and I did indeed see the rubber seal of which you talk, and the penny thus dropped for me.

I've been to a few more showrooms in the last couple of days and I'll tell you what - there doesn't seem to be much available out there in the way of 3/4 turn units. Most seem to be 1/4 turn, with all the inherent lack of adjustability, water-wastage, and wreckability that would surely go with such limited amounts of travel between full-on and full-off.

I am therefore starting to swing back around to good old-fashioned Jumper-Valve taps again. If I do go this way, however, I will be installing new screw-in stainless-steel Hydroseal seats, along with Hydroseal O-Ring washers. And I'll buy the Hydroseal reamer to boot because reaming by hand is a real bugger (but not the tungsten cutter that you've got, lest I massacre what remains of the seats courtesy of drill power). I've seen a nice set of Ram-brand Easy-Clean style taps, with tamper-proof handles (so that the usual "buttons-coming-loose" problem wont happen all the time), so I just might end up going this way. Still haven't fully decided though...

Many thanks for replying.
    Batpig.