Default HEADSUP-Cheap DVD player (xVid) at ALDI

Gday

Very quick hit & run thread.

ALDI have a "Tevion" DVD player at the moment for $35, which plays all the usual suspects, as well as MPEG-4 discs.

To the uneducated such as meself, MPEG-4 covers xVid & DivX I think.

Anyway, I bought one, fired it up, & it seems to play most of the stuff I have tried, some forum vids which are DivX v5, some xVid movies; but wouldn't play one DivX v3 that I tried (that works on the PC) but error correction or something on the ALDI unit might not be as good as the PC.

Used AVIcodec to find out the above info (don't think I know what I'm talking about, dooya?? )

Also has a USB slot to plug in a flash drive, etc. I dragged a tv show episode encoded in DivX v5 from the PC on to the flash drive, plugged it in to the player, & watched it off that. Nifty.

Long story short, cheap player that is well worth trying. Buy it, keep the receipt, try a couple of your discs, if it doesn't do what you want return it.

Cheers.......................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Gday

Very quick hit & run thread.

ALDI have a "Tevion" DVD player at the moment for $35, which plays all the usual suspects, as well as MPEG-4 discs.

To the uneducated such as meself, MPEG-4 covers xVid & DivX I think.

Anyway, I bought one, fired it up, & it seems to play most of the stuff I have tried, some forum vids which are DivX v5, some xVid movies; but wouldn't play one DivX v3 that I tried (that works on the PC) but error correction or something on the ALDI unit might not be as good as the PC.

Used AVIcodec to find out the above info (don't think I know what I'm talking about, dooya?? )

Also has a USB slot to plug in a flash drive, etc. I dragged a tv show episode encoded in DivX v5 from the PC on to the flash drive, plugged it in to the player, & watched it off that. Nifty.

Long story short, cheap player that is well worth trying. Buy it, keep the receipt, try a couple of your discs, if it doesn't do what you want return it.

Cheers.......................Sean

Nice USB may be able to do fix for what it doesn't do see if you can find a downlaod somewhere

Hey Sean, do you know if you can use the USB port to plug in an external hard disk?

Glenn
    <>
    Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a tool-o-holic, it's been 32 minutes since I last bought a tool......

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

We bought a 250gb recorder from them, same brand, while formatting I saw the hard drive was a Samsung, as an aside I also saw Rotary Hammer Drills for $59 if anyone is interested.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Yes, but make sure that you wipe off the sweat and blood of the child labourers that assembled it before use!

Sorry I couldn't help myself. My concern or comment on this is that for the last ten or so years the sound quality of CD's and DVD has been going down hill so now we can play your discs on equipment like you mentioned and don't notice any difference.

Get a CD that has really good sound quality on it (any Neil Young for instance) and play it on quality equipment then in your ALDI special.

Life's too short .......much like the life expectancy of your Tevion stuff no doubt.

My other gear is NAD for sound and Onkyo for my home theatre system, I just wanted to try a hard drive for SWMBO's soapies and the quality is not too bad.
    As for Neil Young, who is he????
    My music tastes are purely classical most rec ent being my Philips CD 464 028 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    My music tastes are purely classical most rec ent being my Philips CD 464 028 2.
    And what is on Philips CD 464 028 2?

I have a 5CD Sony CD player in the shed and it is usually playing classical music.

Also like to listen to ABC FM when they don't get too esoteric

On the subject of brands, I have purchased Aldi stuff, including Tevion, and have found their quality excellent and their service just as good.
    Not happy, bring it back, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Yes, but make sure that you wipe off the sweat and blood of the child labourers that assembled it before use!
    Very noble thoughts indeed, but if we applied that principle to evrything, most o f our shops would be empty!

My concern or comment on this is that for the last ten or so years the sound quality of CD's and DVD has been going down hill so now we can play your discs on equipment like you mentioned and don't notice any difference.

Get a CD that has really good sound quality on it (any Neil Young for instance) and play it on quality equipment then in your ALDI special.

Life's too short .......much like the life expectancy of your Tevion stuff no doubt.
    To be fair, this as a cheap DVD player, if you expect sound quality from this you desrve what you get

In my experience not too many DVD players, even the expensive ones play CDs with top quality sound reproduction. I have both a good quality DVD player (Yamaha) and a good quality CD player (Yamaha) in my system. I never play CDs in the DVD player, not ven Neil Young (whoever he is)

Oh and as to life expectancy, I have bought a fair bit of high priced Sony stuff over the years and all of it has broken down just after the warranty expired! Some of the "cheap" stuff is still going!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Very noble thoughts indeed, but if we applied that principle to evrything, most o f our shops would be empty!

Yes your right (and I'm a hypocrite) just making a point.

Well if it lasts thats great, you have had a win but it gets a bit depressing come council cleanup day seeing the other side of our consumerist society or should that be disposable society.

BTW Neil Young is God...hasn't anyone told you guys!

Big Shed, CD is Famous Classical Trumpet Concertos with Hakan Hardenberger, Like you I also listen to ABC FM and when the wind is blowing the signal the right way, MBS FM.
    I still don't know who Neil Young is though, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I still don't know who Neil Young is though, seriously

You honestly want us to believe you have gotten through your entire life and have not heard of Crosby,Still, Nash and Young!

or or you could even try opening your mind, its not to late to tune in, turn on and drop out Iain

I had heard of Crosby Stiil and Nash, was never aware of the Young, I didn't really like it that much and never noticed who was who, the only modern muso I have taken interest in is, I think, Paul Young, ex Led Zeppelin who now composes Spanish madrigal.
    I studied classical music for several years and sat all of my AMEB exams and tended to favour this type of music as well as play and perform, although not so much now as I used to, I regularly go to classical concerts and I am not a fan of vocals, with a few exceptions (counter tenor).
    Please don't beat me but that is just my style and preference

Whats Spanish Madrigal? It looks as though I'm the one that needs to tune in ... to MBS FM.

Does this mean I have to substitute the mescaline for thorazine?

Nah... I think I'll stick to FBI FM

Nah... I think I'll stick to FBI FM
    I have been having a quick listen on the net and it sounds like a great station

wm9.streaming.telstra.com/UCS-wh_fbi0live1

Is it a public station?

Here in Melb we have PBS http://www.pbsfm.org.au/ and its the best station i have yet to come across. They change presenters every 2 or 3 hours and they play what they want to.

Bleedin, if you can remember have a listen to the Skull Cave on Friday arvo between 4 and 7pm. You will hear the best 3 hours of music on a radio in Aust