Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Oiling a Deck

Default Oiling a Deck

Hi Guys,

New to this Website (sorry if I sound a bit stupid)
    I oiled my deck last weekend with Sceneys Decking oil. The deck is still very tacky a week later. It has been very hot here in Canberra over the last week and no rain. We can't even walk on it without leaving marks on the wood. Not to sure about the wood but I think it is Jarrah. Any suggestions on how to dry it would be great.

Stu

Stu,
    I think you may have put on too much oil. More than the timber can absorb. It is better to put on a few lite coats than drown it. I brush on the oil then wipe over with a rag to remove the excess. It is usually dry in a few hours and can be walked on the next day.
    If it is still tackey in another few days then you will have to either scrub with turps (or whatever the cleanup solvent is on the instructions) and wipe off the excess or even scrape off. Then reapply a lite coat. I would apply a lite coat to a test bit of scrap timber and see if it dries ok before using any more of that batch of oil. It may have been a bad batch and will not dry for some reason.
    Let us know how it goes.
    John