Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default french polishing help ?

i have been trying my hand at french polishing and with exellent results, got that mirror shine happening...the only thing i am having trouble with is it has a aver so slight cloudyness , rather than crystal clear, you can only see the cloudyness when the light is shining on the surface, i tryed doing the final pases with a dash of metho on the pad but it did not help,...any sugestions?
    Hurry, slowly

Might be a bit of moisture from the atmosphere. Has it been raining lately where you are? If it doesn't clear on a fine day (the finish that is) then it's something else.
    Rusty

yes it was a bit rainy oday, i thoought that might be it, but also to , if i touch or wipe the table it smears cloudy, i gave it a wipe with metho as i thought it maybe a oil build up from the rubber, but it just went worse, if i rub my finger on the surface faily hard it seems to look clear, it's like a film on the surface, yet as i said the metho does'nt clear it up. chances are it could still be just a bit of moisture, perhaps i put a little to much build to fast for the damp conditions.
    Hurry, slowly

I think JB is on the right track.

If it is moisture in the polish, allowing it to dry and evaporate out will be the only thing to clear the "film". I would think that rubbing your finger on it hard probably heats the area through friction and "pulls" out the moisture that causes the cloudiness.

Gentle drying through a flow of warm air (low heat setting on a fan driven heater) can pull out the moisture (although this risks a patchy result), but better to check the weather forecast and let it dry out naturally if you can wait. I think the trick with french polish is to do it on a dry day, and to be patient with allowing any cloudiness to naturally clear.
    Cheers, and good luck,
    clinton

well it might have been some moisture, i gave it a light sand with 400 and a very light rub with wax , this seem to do the trick, it looks fantistic, and i got to deliver to the client tomorrow so had to have it ready..cheers
    Hurry, slowly

What you had sounds like oil residue left on the surface because you did not spirit off and remove it. Sanding with 400 grit is a bit harsh on a fiished surface.
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!