Hi Guys, I am in a position that I think i need to put in a bit of extra effort to renovate a bathroom.
Current scenario is a 1960's solid brick home in mitchell park in south australia (assume an old solid brick trust style home).
The floor is a terrazzo floor (pink) and has cracked in the shower alcove. Unfortunately there must be a bit of water seepage as i noticed a bit of salt damp on the other side of the wall in the bedroom.
This is the excuse i was actually looking to avoid to replace the floor unfortunately. so now i am looking how i would tackle this problem.
Ideally i would like to at least get stuck into replacing most of the tiles while the bathroom was still operational starting from the furtherest most point of the shower and working my way towards the shower.
The walls are tiled half way up currently then plaster applied to render and paint to the plaster to the ceiling. Is it wise to start tackling all the tiling first or should i have the floor replaced first to deal with the shower alcove. note the terazzo curls up the wall around the edges so it is not like i would know where i tile down to without estimating the height of the floor and starting the second course of tiles to compensate for the terazzo run up.
Also when tiling the walls, do i remove the plaster and paint from the top half of the walls before tiling or is it simply enough to just mess up the surface enough to allow for good adhesion for tile glue.
is it possible to potentially replace everything in the bathroom while still using the shower and leaving the shower tiles to last and the floor as the very last thing or am i dreaming and attacking this in the wrong order?
cheers
Damien

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...