Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bathroom Extraction Fan Suggestions

Hi, Similar to my thread regarding light switches, I am looking for some suggestions on bathroom extractor fans. The only ones I can manage to take a look at are at bunnings. Can anyone give me some advise as to where else I could look for the fans. I'm looking for something relativley quite and slim. Since I am having under floor heating installed I'm not really interested in the IXL tastic combo types.

Also I have noted some discusion here on having the fan vent to outside rather that the ceiling cavity and some one else has suggested this to me. Is it really worth the effort? Are there any difficulties in haveing it extract outside (electrical etc)?

Thanks
    Last edited by seth; 2nd January 2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

I used a Heller 3 in 1 light/heater/fan & it has a ducted outlet.
    The fan is not noisey like some.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

IXL is noisy as hell

and the heat is only sufficient to reach the head of a basketball player/ very tall person HTH

We have an IXL Sensation

yeh, i got a heller (fan only) one of those square trendy looking things and it is a drum type fan designed to be ducted but I'm having trouble finding a suitable 6" ducting kit (duct and grill) that doesnt cost more than the ruddy fan itself which was $54 an bunnies.I believe in the value of getting the moisture out of the roof certainly.

Our Bunnies in Cairns has the duct & the grills as separate items.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    Similar to my thread regarding light switches, I am looking for some suggestions on bathroom extractor fans. The only ones I can manage to take a look at are at bunnings. Can anyone give me some advise as to where else I could look for the fans. I'm looking for something relativley quite and slim. Since I am having under floor heating installed I'm not really interested in the IXL tastic combo types.
    We had a combo light and fan (no heat lamp) and the fan went bung. Since it was an odd shape and I couldn't get a replacement, I just plugged the hole and fitted a big oyster ceiling lamp from a lighting shop over the hole and at Bunnings I got a 250mm cheap fan (most fans are 200mm), which was about $20. I also bought a spare fan.

Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    Also I have noted some discusion here on having the fan vent to outside rather that the ceiling cavity and some one else has suggested this to me. Is it really worth the effort? Are there any difficulties in haveing it extract outside (electrical etc)?
    If you have an old house with a tiled roof and no foil under the tiles (like me), I don't think it makes any difference. If you have a metal roof or foil under tiles, it might make a difference.

I think it is worth having one of those fan-top devices with the flaps (I think it is called "Draft Stoppa") which you can get at Bunnings or electricians supplies stores. They just fit on top of the fan inside the ceiling and the weighted flaps open up when the fan blows. They stop crap blowing down the hole from the roof and stop some heat loss upwards. You can get fans that close flaps when they are off but they are much more expensive.

Try all the electrical wholesalers.

Do they still make VentAxia extractor fans?
    Had one in my bathroom in Cammeray outside louvres used to open as soon as you switched it on,only drawback was you had to get a round hole cut in the glass to install,used to clear all steam etc pretty smartly.

Agree with totoblue re Draft Stoppa, we have an old w/board house & these made a difference.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

i was going to put a fan in the shower recess which had a 7' roof as i put a 2' cupboard above opening to the next room. not allowed I was told so i put a 90mm storm water pipe up thou the roof with a grate on the end, looked ok and no steam ever got into the rest of the bathroom as it had a glass door with a 6mm slit at the top.
    I had a two story chimney down stairs with a gas stove in it . i put a fan cover over a hole i cut in the lining in the cavity worked very very well.
    no noise don't have to remember to turn on or off, i was going to put a baffle in but with 4 other open fire places i could not see the point, a bit of ventilation.