Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking Is this enough power in the shed?

I finally pulled my finger out and sorted out power to my shed last week.

63A 3phase RCD (earth leakage protection for the uninitiated) at the meter box, then 80A 3 phase breaker in a 18 pole sub-board at the shed.

Basically that gives me a useable 63A PER PHASE x 3, All RCD protected!!!!!!

I asked the electrician what would happen if I drew too much current through the main isolation switch at the main meter box, and his reply - "mate, if you can trip that, I ain't gonna pay your electricity bill!!! You've got enough power here to run another entire house!"

Gotta love that!!! 189Amps usable current or 63Amp 3 phase. Considering the table saw I want (Felder) will draw less than 20A 3 phase, I doubt I'll run out of power any time soon....

Total cost $1254 for the wiring, sub board and all breakers.
    Individual 3 phase circuits and outlets to be run when I buy some decent 3 phase machinery.... hehe. Now, what to buy??? hmm?

Damn, I am green with envy here . For me to get that at my place it was going to cost me $20k+
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Timbernut you have a pretty good setup there. Lots of capacity for future upgrades. Well done.

Only one thing though. The rcd is at the house and not at the shed. And its across the supply to the shed. I would have put the circuit breaker at the house and then put individual rcd's on your sub board circuits. You could have a situation where the rcd trips and you lose everything including lights. Ok as long as you dont work at night I suppose.

Shane.

Hey Shane, yeah I know. I discussed that before we did it.

The main reasoning is that if some hungry rodent should decide my 16mm STI cables are worth chewing on between the sub-board, and the meter box, then they are RCD protected as well.

it'll be a pain if something in the shed keeps tripping, and i have to go out to the meter box to fix all the time, but I'll cross that bridge if it happens.

If the RCD is an issue I can replace it with (get this) an 80A 3 ph breaker at the meter box, and will THEN have 80A per phase x 3 (the cables are rated higher, and the sparky said it'd be fine (should) I need to go that high ) )

Quote Originally Posted by TimberNut View Post
    16mm STI cables
    Normally refered to as SDI-Single Double Insulated

Putting the RCD at the box is a more cost effective and space saving way of doing it if a little bit of a pain in the rear should it trip. Saves on the cost of individual MCB/RCD's for the 240v breakers and seperate RCD's and C/B's for the 415V side ( As far as i know they still dont come in a 3 pole combination MCB/RCD unit) so it wouldn't take long to fill those 18 poles (first 3 being the main switch)

termite,

SDI? Yep that's what I meant! hehe.

The basic thinking -
    18 poles available.

3 for main 80A isolation switch
    9 for 3 x 3phase circuit breakers
    1 x 10A lighting circuit
    1 x 10A single phase power circuit
    1 x 15A power circuit

that's 15 used, with 3 spare (maybe another 3 phase circuit? hehe)

So for tools, that's 3 x 3phase circuits, a 10A and a 15A power ciruit. If i need more than that I dunno how I'll fit the machinery in 6m x 3m garage!!

Maybe one day I'll demolish it and build a decent size shed....

Sounds like the dream install for my shed ... Unfortunatly when i had some plumbing done i had the backhoe dig the trenches for my power as well the conduit was sitting in the yard (which has a step in it) so it was stuck in the ground for me and backfilled (including draw wire) Now tho i cant pull the bloody cable through the 5 90 degree bends and havent had the time to dig a few holes and cut the couduit and pull it in sections... Will get there one day. So for now 240V is all i could get there..... Im "gunna" fix that one day.

Termite. sounds like a real bugger!!

I only had a single phase 240v combined light and power circuit to the shed. Typical of most homes.

The reason for me upgrading it now is that I'm looking to purchase some serious machinery soon (Felder panel saw #1 on the list) and didn't want to invest in it only single phase if 3 phase was possible. So I got the sparky out to ask the question... and here we are..

Now to decide on the saw...and then the dust extractor...then a new bandsaw...and then...and then... and then I go broke! But hey, at least I can drown my sorrows in the shed.. At least I'll be able to look at all the serious new toys (even if I can't afford to run them...)

Now to decide on the saw...and then the dust extractor...then a new bandsaw...and then...and then... and then I go broke! But hey, at least I can drown my sorrows in the shed.. At least I'll be able to look at all the serious new toys (even if I can't afford to run them...)
    where the bloody hell are you going to fit with all that in there?

err, dunno, but I reckon I'll figure it out. Not the ideal setup I know, but rebuilding the shed isn't on the cards at the moment. I figure, get the stuff now (before SWMBO says I can't), then continually complain that the shed just ISN'T big enough till she caves in and lets me build the 'dream shed' to house all those goodies...

Did I mention there's also a Vicmarc lathe to go in there somewhere???

(am I gloating yet??? )

(am I gloating yet??? )
    I think you my be well beyond that... but i agree get it before she changes her mind.