Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Shellac Runs "migrating front"

I am working on re finishing a blackwood sideboard - so far so good. Cleaned up nicely and finishing with shellac.

I haven't heaps of shellac experience but have had some instruction from an old pro. Having looked through the forums I can't find quite the answer I'm looking for.

My plan calls for 2-3 layers brushed on, then some rubbed on layers and perhaps some beeswax with superfine steel wool for a satin finish.

My trouble is, no matter how lightly I put it on and watching like a hawk, the shellac will run into a dark front edge - rather than a run. I can sand them out - and the layer of shellac I just put on. The edge is quite fine rather than a huge ridge of run.

Is the mix too thin?
    Should I just keep putting coats on hoping they will blend and merge with topcoats?
    Should I sand with steel wool in between and clean up these blemishes?
    Should I just forget the brush and go for a pad?

Look forward to your input.

StuartC24

just use the pad instead
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

As Echidna says, use a rubber.

Using a brush with shellac can be done but demands great care. Also the brush used by professional finishers is usually a squirrel hair brush, a bit like a ladies blusher brush in shape and is charged, not by dipping the brush in shellac but by upending the brush and adding shellac to it.

Making the rubber has been covered in previous threads. I'll just repeat what I have said before about rubbers. I make two to three. One large, one small for detail work and one charged only with meth as a final pull over rubber.

Don't worry about sanding out the thicker lines. Get the meth only rubber and work over what you have already put on. The meth will remelt the previous finish and allow you to rework it. Remember to work in a circular motion which will distribute the shellac into the grain. After the first coats which fix the loose fibres I rarely sand again because using rubbers in the way I suggest can produce a remarkably smooth surface. If you have more questions don't be afraid to ask.

Jerry

War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left.

Thanks for the help.

I have made up a rubber ready to have a crack next weekend as I was suspicious that this would be the solution.

I'm enjoying using oils and shellac expanding my repertoire of finishes and the input of the forum.

Regards,

StuartC24

Jerry and Echidna,

I have had a good day at the sideboard. rubbed down with steel wool and started into it with the pad and it is working fine. If I remember I will post a photo of the finished object.

For the final coat I am looking at a satin, rather than gloss finish and on advice of an old cabinet maker am planning on finishing with 0000 steel wool and linseed oil.

Regards,

StuartC24