Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Removable carport solution please

hi all,

we have a courtyard that has a roller door at rear that sometimes doubles up as a carpark.

we are about the lay a concrete slab and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how we we can do a removable carport ... essentially, what we would would like would be 4 removable posts (ideally square but can go with circular shape) that we can hang a waterproof fabric off (top only) when required. when not in use we envisage that both the posts and cover can be removed and stored.

not quite sure how the posts would work .... thinking a piece would go into the ground and be imbedded in the concrete and that the 4 poles would slide into it when required? what size and material do you recommend and where can i buy these?

would appreciate some advice and would like to know if anyone has ever seen it done?

cheers,

julie

I personally probably wouldn't do this, it sounds like a lot of work for something you'll end up leaving up eventually. Yes, the posts with waterproof cover idea sounds like it might work, but there are a few things to think about to do it right. Some of them are (Duh!) but I'll say everything I can think of if I was to do it.

1.you're pouring concrete, but you're leaving these 4 holes in the ground. They need covers fabricated so nobody twists an ankle.
    2. when you pour, you need a sleeve in place if you're using metal for the posts, you need a size slightly larger than the posts. A hole in the ground wants to fill up with something. Water, gravel, leaves, all must be kept out, and they need to drain, otherwise you're having water sit in them, not good for concrete.
    3. you'll be replacing the overhead cover maximum every five years. If you use a cheap one, a year or two.
    4. a metal pole high enough to go above your car is pretty heavy. You're having four (or do you attach to the house on two corners?) to cart around. As I said, it's only a matter of time before you just leave it up I bet.

Maybe you could install the posts permanently, and have a shade sail company make you a waterproof sail.
    But for all the trouble, I'd just build a roof. Laserlite pergola?
    Do nothing, stay ahead

thanks for feedback eli,

yes, was thinking of mounting poles horizontally when not in use.

we live in a terrace home and our small courtyard is the only natural / outdoor are that we have. i guess another option, perhaps better would be to have poles mounted against walls as a permanent fixture as a feature. that way, its only the roof fabric that gets removed? this might serve 2 purposes as we we're thinking of putting blueboard on the slat wall and rendering it and this might resolve the issue of joints.

i have attached a photo which hopefully better illustrates the area we have to work with.

cheers,

julie

Check out roll out awnings similar to caravan awnings. Can be fixed on posts against fence or house wall.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Probably not the answer you want but Supercheap Autos will sell you something like that.

The posts and sail are going to take up a bit of room, even rolled up. It looks like you haven't got a lot of storage space withought just laying them up against the wall.
    Splurge out and build a 3m wide glass roof, with a roll out awning on the end to get you a few more metres when it rains.

we already have an electronic awning that extends out about 4mts from the house (above bifolds) weather permitting (sun/wind sensor controlled). unfortunately it wont cover the whole car and really thinking of situations where heavy rain or hail threatens.

hoping the find a cool solution

julie

yeah, that's a tough one. maybe the same type awning from the other side? Maybe a short permanent roof with gutter from the other side to overlap where the existing awning ends? I definitely wouldn't go with the post idea, having seen the space. It would be a pain in the neck.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Hi Julie,
    How long and wide is the area?

If you are wanting to cover the whole area, a removable material cover could be fairly heavy and this may tend to sag in the centre if unsupported, (especially waterproof material in the rain).
    To avoid this you would need to have fairly large posts and some large turnbuckles to tension the material to take out the sag.
    Another idea is to make something semi permanent. A series of light trusses for want of a better word, these could have a curved top if you like or a slight pitch, fixed to either side, and then place the material cover over the top like a giant tonnau cover on a ute.
    It won't be a 2 minute job to put up or down but if it is well designed, it shold not take more than 20 minutes and 2 people.
    If you make the trusses a bit decorative, you may prefer to leave them permanently fixed and just take the cover of and on.

Cheers and please post lots of pics of whatever you decide to do.
    Alan M

thanks for all the comment.

desired size is approx 5mts sq.

ute thing got me thinking ... why can i have attractive hooks going horizontally across the top of the wall and attach a cover with clips over the top ... this should keep it taunt and material shold be quite heavy duty?

like caravan awning idea too which would be a more cost effective solution to the electronic one we have ... just not sure how attractive it will look. would like it to retract fully back into its housing when not in use.

what im really trying to achieve is a stealth look when not in use. weekends are for entertaining and we want the area 100% open

cheers,

julie

Righto so my first post was a bit tounge in cheek.

I really think you need some professional advice for what you want from people who know what they are about so I think you are just going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money because anything you do yourself is going to look crap and detract from the value of your property.

So have look here.

http://shadeoz.com/SUB-RetractableRoof.htm

Click on the red link an see it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    So have look here.

http://shadeoz.com/SUB-RetractableRoof.htm

Click on the red link an see it working.
    That's pretty nifty. Looks good too.

Although it looks like you'd need deep pocket$, and you'd have to jump through $ome council hoop$ as well.

My Grandfather had a garden on the flat roof of his house in Malta. He made a series of arched supports and covered the whole thing with bird wire and kept birds in there. It was like a huge avery with birds and wonderful flowering plants.

OK, what I am getting at is you didn't even notice the structure overhead after a short time but the overall effect was magnificent.

I understand you wanting the stealth look but it is very difficult to do it well and function perfectly without having to compromise something. That something may as well look nice and become a feature of the space.

If you want the drape something from one side to the other and have no supports, make sure there is some fall one way so a sudden heavy rain shower won't bring it down.

Alan M