Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Zip Hydrotap Problems

Hello all I am after some advice in regards to a combination chilled and boling water unit called a Zip Hydrotap the main unit is located under the sink and the tap obviously is on the benchtop the problem I am having is the Everpure filter Head unit located underbench in the cupboard is leaking i have replaced the John Guest fittings connected to it and installed the filter correctly but it is still leaking water out of these fittings the price for a new filter head is something like $300 bucks to get around this problem I am thinking of by-passing the filter unit altogether by soldering a section of copper pipe and replacing the guest fittings with copper elbows and doing away with the filter has anyone had experience with these units the model number is ABC30/30 and yes i have got onto the Zip website and troubleshooting section any ideas would be grateful

Not sure what John Guest fittings are but have you checked the input pressure. Anything over 500kPa may cause it to leak. Zip recommend installing a pressure limiting valve on the cold water inlet.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Check the hoses are cut square, check they are pushed all the way home, sometimes they can be hard to push in, try trimming about 1" off the end of the hoses then give it a go. This is assuming your talking about the 6mm hose and the push fittings.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

thanks for the reply fella's Ncarcher the unit does have a pressure limiting valve on it so I have already ticked that off the list! It starts leaking when I fill the unit up I turn the valve on and I can watch the fittings expand under the pressure and that's when the leaks start from around these Fittings I have played around with it on and off and it really is starting to P@# me off Wonderplumd do you think the pressure limiting valve could have failed?

I've had various problems with the Zip Units ( not many compared to the number I've instaled, they are good i reckon)

Maybe ring zip and get them to waranty it.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    thanks for the reply fella's Ncarcher the unit does have a pressure limiting valve on it so I have already ticked that off the list! It starts leaking when I fill the unit up I turn the valve on and I can watch the fittings expand under the pressure and that's when the leaks start from around these Fittings I have played around with it on and off and it really is starting to P@# me off Wonderplumd do you think the pressure limiting valve could have failed?
    In my experience when they fail they shut down altogether rather than not work and let the higher pressure through. Have you changed the hose at all or has it been changed that you know of? Just that Zip may use a certain supplier or even make their own, and the same size hose between different manufacturers may have the slightest difference in outside diameter. Just a thought. Incase you havent already, pull the hoses out and trim them then push them in, HARD and see how you go. To be honest Im not sure if these little fittings have O rings in them or not, id imagine they would, they could have been pushed out of square by an unevenly cut tube. You could even try a little lube.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter