Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sheet Goods On Trailer - Size Ok?

Not sure where to put this one ......

I have just won an Ebay auction for some chipboard sheets which will be great for lining the garage. Ok cement sheet may be better than chipboard however the price was right on the chipboard and I missed on some blueboard last week.

30 SHEETS are 20mm thick and 8 SHEETS are 10mm thick
    The sizes:
    1840mm x 3900mm and
    1840mm x 3700mm

Now the issues with picking them up ...... if I hire a 7x4 trailer would the overhang be ok provided I secure well enough? Its only 900mm each end so that should be safe enough? They will be too wide to sit in the trailer and be stacked on top 680mm .... is this also ok?

Only 1/2 hour drive or so.

Cheers

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

What do they weigh and what is the trailer capable of carrying?

900 sticking out the front might restrict your turning ability.

Micheal there is going to a lot of weight with that amount of sheets for one trip.

Maybe a tandem trailer would be better as it would also have tandem wheels.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

You might want a bigger trailer. Chipboard isn't that heavy but you've got a couple of cubic meters there. Also 900mm over the front could be a bit dodgey vis a vis reversing into driveway, you need sufficient clearance betwen trailer and cat when cornering.

Can you get a 8X4 tandem?

Edit.
    Right, so it's unnanimous then?
    We don't know how lucky we are......

Can't you put them on the roof racks.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Also 900mm over the front could be a bit dodgey vis a vis reversing into driveway, you need sufficient clearance betwen trailer and cat when cornering.
    Thanks all for the quick responses ..... nothing is ever easy is it! I hadn't really considered the weight aspect so two trips may be in order. A larger trailer may be difficult as all of the local hire places seem to have only the smaller ones. I will ring around tomorrow.

No problem with reversing no matter what I get .... I cant do it! Normally I just take it off and push, or if it is loaded just make sure I don't go where I cant get out again We have rear lane access so it will be in one way, stop and block the lane to unload, and then drive out the other end

The seller may have a friend that could deliver so it may be easier if he doesn't cost too much.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Can't you put them on the roof racks.
    I noticed that when I did a search for an answer before posting
    ..... I just don't think they are the same length!

Hire a Car Trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    Hire a Car Trailer.
    Looks like it may be the way to go ..... either that or a 13x6 cage ..... both seem to be the same price and I have found one locally. Shame it is 3x the cost of the 7x4 but on the plus side it would be one trip and safer.

Can you hire a small truck instead?
    If I can do the sums right, all up you have 4.8 cu.m which (depending on which chipboard you've bought) could weigh up to 3.6 tonnes ( at the low density end, it's still arround 2.7 tonnes)
    add in the trailer and it's probably much more than your car can tow

and down right foolhardy in an unbraked trailer!
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

mmmm another good point Ian ..... no wonder I keep finding my way back here!

Perhaps a couple of trips with a Car Carrier/Transporter Capacity: 1200 Kg.

I think I am going to have bloody chipboard coming out of my ears ...... and on the walls of the shed .... Perhaps I can on sell the leftovers

Exclamation

Undy's suggestion is the sanest if you only want tod do one trip.

Don'tknow about down there but up here you can only have an overhang at the back of a trailer and that is limited.

I moved 6 1200x2400 sheets that were 20mm thick on a frame on a trailer & lost them down the road when I had to brake hard for an idiot.

They are very heavy & hard to hold in a stack.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    I moved 6 1200x2400 sheets that were 20mm thick on a frame on a trailer & lost them down the road when I had to brake hard for an idiot.

They are very heavy & hard to hold in a stack.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    I moved 6 1200x2400 sheets that were 20mm thick on a frame on a trailer ......
    When I started to read this Cliff I thought you may have been showing off ...... moved 6 1200x2400 sheets on a trailer in the morning and then sipping a cuppa by lunchtime . That was until I read on .

Well I am glad that I asked the question as I have now gone from a 6x4 trailer in one load to a small truck .

Actually works out well. The tray is large enough to fit the full length of the sheet, at a squeeze I may be able to do it all in one load and it wasn't much more than hiring the car trailer.

Car trailer or 13x6 caged trailer are running at about $75 for three hours ..... I have the little truck for 6hrs $80. Picking up the truck just around the corner from where I am loading the chipboard and dropping the truck back off near home at their second depot.

If anybody sees any potential danger in the little truck please speak now .....

Cheers

Stinky.