Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TV for 'puter monitor?

I've just bought a new 'puter sans monitor. End of financial year spending, plus the old one was getting a bit slow and unreliable. I could most likely have smartened it right up by reformatting the HDD and loading in a newer OS. I'll still do this, but didn't want the stress of having to get it all up and running ASAP. I was thinking that rather than making it landfill, I would turn it into a juke box. Load all of our music collection onto it in the form of MP3 files and whack it in the back of the entertainment unit that I've (partially ) built. I don'y have a monitor for it though, and it's not like I want to clutter the entertainment unit with a monitor anyway. Is there a reasonably cheap and simple way of using the TV for a monitor? I'd basically only want to use it once in a while to load up a play list and get the thing playing. Any suggestions (sensible or otherwise )

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hmm... technically .. sorta. You can get video cards with a TV out signal.. but.
    The resolution of a TV set is basically Crap... less than VGA
    Have a scout around for an old working CRT monitor, hook it up to that and carry on.
    Using a PC as an entertainment centre is OK, put in a DVD drive, TV tuner card and rip all your CDs onto the hard disk, connectup to amp and decent speakers and go for it.

Cheers

Ian

Mick,

The brand of computer that I use comes standard with a VGA output, adaptors and the ability to plug straight in.

I never cease to be amazed at what the other popular style can't do!

P
    :eek:

But how much FREE stuff fits yours?????????????

not a real lot, is there Midge
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

I don't mind if the resolution is crap, I don't want to watch movies on it, just select some music, after which I'd turn the monitor off. So how mauch am I looking at for one of these card thingies?

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

More than a second hand monitor usually Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    But how much FREE stuff fits yours?????????????

not a real lot, is there Midge
    Not a real lot that doesn't come standard you mean Bob?? You know, NO extra costs OR installation?? I guess you don't!

Here's what I mean

P

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    More than a second hand monitor usually Mick.
    Yeah, but I don't have room for a monitor in there, and besides it'd look pretty stupid in there. I'm planning on having the box hidden away in the back of the cabinet and just having the mouse sitting in with the DVD player and VCR. I don't think I'll need the keyboard unless I load more files and need to create folders.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

How far will it be from your main PC?
    A KVM switch box may be easier... you just flick over to the old PC to set & select & flick back & then you don't need another monitor,keyboard or mouse.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Mick,

I used to run music via my laptop, from my server through Airport (wireless) networking.

Apple (sorry Bob) sell a device called Airport Express ($199), which is a wireless router designed among other things to plug in to a power point and power a standard stereo output, so you can broadcast from your PC to your stereo.

I'm fairly sure that you can get standard wireless routers with a card for your 'puter for less than a $100 now, but I don't know if you can get them to do what the airport gadget will do, ie plug straight in to your stereo.

I know you want to use your old box, but maybe it's worth a look at the alternative, and use your main machine as the server? Actually now that I think about it, you could simply network wirelessly and log on using remote desktop.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

P

"I don't think I'll need the keyboard unless I load more files and need to create folders."

Sorry, you will need it. Otherwise you'll get a "keyboard error" during boot.

Okay,
    I'll leave the keyboard plugged in then.

Cliff,
    the two 'puters would be about 20 - 25M apart, by the time I run cables up into the ceiling - which I don't really feel like doing anyway, well not unless one of those switch box thingies are way cheaper than any other option.

Midge,
    that's all sounding way too high tech and complicated. I've got a box that's perfectly fine but just too old and slow to use for anything other than landfill, a doorstop or a juke box.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

You won't need the keyboard Mick. Just go into the CMOS and chamge the settings so that it says "stop on no errors" and it will just boot on straight through.

Peter. Is the airport supplied with the Mac or does it cost extra?
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Oh, I forgot, a TV out will cost you about $100 and a will do what you want of it.
    Having said that, if the Airport has a way to communicate directly with your stereo then that would be a great way to go. Total cost would be Airport $199 new and about $120 second hand plus a wireless card for the computer - about $30. Excellent solution and you can leave the computer where it is.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson
    Peter. Is the airport supplied with the Mac or does it cost extra?
    Bob,
    I'm fairly sure all current machines come standard, from the time of the first iMac all the wires, antenna and stuff have been installed ready for what was a $90 card.

There isn't any need for the Airport Bizzo, as any machine can be configured as a server, but the devices come ready to act as a music server and have ethernet and usb hubs standard, so they can be print or any sort of server as well as a router.

I currently use an eMac as the base station, with printer and Ethernet modem attached, and log on via my laptop whenever I need.

I hear what you are saying Mick, I can give you an old iMac if you want to make things easy!

Cheers,

P