Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Unhappy Stinkin' car seat...

Cloth inserts in car seats are great in summer, but there are times when, well... they absorb stuff that you'd really rather they didn't.

Last week mine were smeared in organic waste (don't ask!) after a long, nasty day and I left the clean up 'til the following morning. Big mistake, I think. Initially I removed the excess with warm water and detergent, which worked... for a day. So, then I tried a spray of diluted Napisan. Again, it worked... for a day. Last effort was giving it a squirt of eucalyptus/orange oil concentrate... which held the smell at bay until today.

The worst of it is that with this weather the inserts aren't fully drying out before the smell returns and I attack 'em again, so I'm a tad concerned about mildew (and a permanently damp bum ) if I continue this way. But the smell is really, really bad after a day in even the Winter Sun. Thank Ghu it ain't blowy season!

Any other suggestions? Please?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Perhaps take it to a detailer and get it steam cleaned. If it's really, really bad the undertakers have some excellent stuff for getting rid of unwanted smells. Once its into the upholstery you have really got a problem. Drop a bottle of the wifes perfume in it, although disguising the pong may result in an unfortunate accident if caught out. I'm told placing a pot plant of flowering African Violets will work if left for the weekend.

However I really think you have two choices, buy a peg, or a quick wash and clean and trade the old heap in. I think your stuffed mate .

John

Skew,
    a few years back we had some bad flooding in Cairns (it's basically built on a swamp). Lots of cars were drowned. I dropped by a car detailers to pick something up and found that he was removing the seats from the vehicle and using a Gerni to blast them clean. A few hours in the tropical heat and they were dry. I've since then done the same thing when I've sold my work vehicles, the seats come up as good as new (well, almost, it won't fix the tears etc).

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I use a product found in the laundry section of the supermarket called Febreeze (spelling?) it is a deodoriser and has a pleasant smell. It is not a cleaner, use it to freshen up the stale smell the cars get or during a few days rain and you get that musty smell.

As for the stain, I usually use a carpet cleaning product, the newest one is Preen vanish for carpets with oxy action. It has removed some very stubborn stains and marks.

Hope it is of help, if you don't get any results from them you can use them in the house!....
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Stick a raw prawn under the back seat, tha'll take your mind of it. Seriously, you need to rip the seat out and work it on the underside. Definately need to soak some type of deoderiser through the fabric and padding to get rid of the smell. one of those hand held domestic steam cleaners will also help. Besides that you need to eat some bananas to bind you up a bit!
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Thanks fellas.

The problem's solved now... the easy way. The cloth seats had to be removed anyway, right? And what's a work-ute without a vinyl bench-seat?

At least a seat-cover can be thrown in the washing machine.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Skew,
    you've replaced the seat so you've nothing to lose, take the old one and blast it with a pressure washer. I would be very suprised if it still stank afterwards.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

happened to me once. I sold my car.
    Young kids cancels shed time