Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long can you concentrate for

Just wondering how long you can concentrate for. I know people that are satisfied working at it in half an hour stints for one reason or another, having a young family for one. Today for instanse I tried concentrating for as long as I could, lasted about two hours 'til a friend came around and I lost the roll I was in, other times I loose track of time and find myself at all hours of the morning

Withought distractions I can go for about 3 to 4 hours. When I an doing throwing with the pottery, if I get to that point and think "just one more then I'll stop" The next thing will all go pear shaped and I may as well have stopped already! Doing tuning, you get a big catch and muck up the thing you have been trying to make perfect for the last 3 hours.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Withought distractions I can go for about 3 to 4 hours. When I an doing throwing with the pottery, if I get to that point and think "just one more then I'll stop" The next thing will all go pear shaped and I may as well have stopped already! Doing tuning, you get a big catch and muck up the thing you have been trying to make perfect for the last 3 hours.
    I reckon that's pretty good tea lady, I simagine throwing could be on the medatitive side of things, spose that's a factor into how long you can last too

Depends on what I am doing. Turning, go for an hour or so, then play with the pups, have a drink, annoy MBGitW etc then dive right back in. After 3 or so hours have an hour off, have lunch, have a look here etc. As above, if I push it the stuffup fairy normally visits

Flat work depends on what I am doing. If it's milling to size, get all the components right then a break. Applying finish is usually apply 1 coat to where required then leave the shed, so as not to stir up the dust

I have been known to vanish into the shed and not get sighted for 6 or 7 hours and that's before I open the beer fridge
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Stuffup fairy, does she? just appear out of no where

Less than 45 seconds. That's how long it takes to walk from the kitchen to the shed fridge, and by the time I get there, I've forgotten what I had to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dean View Post
    Less than 45 seconds. That's how long it takes to walk from the kitchen to the shed fridge, and by the time I get there, I've forgotten what I had to get.
    I find comfort in this but I'm not sure I should

Default concentration

HI geoff
    I know the feeling geoff im 68 and it happens a lot ,but you are not old enough yet john

The older I get time becomes more precious to me and I hate to waste it.

I suppose it's because I've survived my prostate cancer, my psa tests still show no recurrence, that I work or relax with total commitment.

Peter.

I find I can concentrate for about....oooh, shiny!

What?

Various work analysis pundits claim that one hour is the maximum time doing one task that is efficient - such as answering the phone in a call centre, studying for an exam etc. You should then have a break or do another, different task.

You spend 5-10 minutes adjusting to the new task, then work at maximum efficiency for 40 or so minutes, then taper off for a while, then go down hill more rapidly after an hour.

My concentration level appears to be directly linked to my interest in the task.

Some things I can concentrate on all day... even to the degree that people almost literally have to take the tools out of my hand if they want my attention. (I'm not making any claims about efficiency mind. That's a different kettle of fish altogether! )

Other things... I'd hazard a guess and say about 5 seconds.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dean View Post
    I thought that was a female thing. :I've been living under a delusion!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

what was the question?

Most tasks, I can go hard for maybe an hour. My head "fills up." I really need to stop to consider what needs doing next. For example, I'll be damn good at building fences & grape arbors by the day I finish.
    Wood carving, take the break, look at what I've done and just as likely turn to another WIP for an hour. I suppose the novelty helps. I haven't made two of anything yet so the learning curve and the experience is slow to come by. I know that I can swing away with my lightest mallet for 3-4 hrs at a time. Being mostly ambidexterous, I can switch-hit for an hour.
    At the same time, retirement can poison this. "Oh well. Work on it tomorrow."