Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reveal sizes?

Post reveal sizes?

hi i plan on building an aluminium clad house and was just wondering if there was a certain size the aluminium window reveals had to be or are reveals all the same sizeing does it depend on depth of frame and cladding? thanks guys

Others will probably confirm but I believe the reveal depths (ie. from inside wall of interior to exterior facade) do vary, largely depending on your type of house wall construction. Eg. typical weatherboard house will vary from typical double brick, etc.

if you are buying windows, your window supplier will know as well.

thanks ashwood ive picked up some on ebay with reveals at 120mm so i guess if they arent wide enough ill have to put on new reveals but i got 12 new aluminium windows at $600.00 the lot so at that price i guess i can change the reveals or plane them back if to big.i have no idea how easy or hard that is but im trying to save wherever i can and the window guy up here quoted me $8000.00 dollars for 12 windows and 1 sliding door so i reckon i got a bargain and a half i just have to redesign my plans around the new window sizes lol thx for your help its much appreciated

Pretty easy to change reveal sizes,they are usually just screwed into the frame and butt joined,just a matter of resawing,or replacing with wider timber,whatever the case.

Hi,
    The reveals are just the hardwood frames that the actual aluminium windows are fixed onto, so you are correct, it is possible to change those if you need to. Alternatively, you can add an additional layer of wider/deeper reveals onto the reveals provided, but this could look clumsy although you could perhaps creatively dress them up with architraves and mouldings. The window opening size also gets affected (larger) but this may be okay if the house/structure is not built yet.

thanks guys the house hasnt been built because when i got quoted so much for windows i figured i could get them cheaper so now i can put the window sizes on the plans and get a drafty to draw them up.if i was using standard pine wall studs with aluminium cladding how wide should reveals be thx

Approx reveal depth = thickness of outside cladding + stud depth + internal cladding thickness.

eg Outside cladding = 9. Studs = 90. Internal = 10

9 + 90 + 10 = 109, so go 110.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Smile

thanks vernon im not scared anymore about windows as the help here is fantastic thanks everyone

Just to oversell on the help and make the process less scary, all that your builder will do is nailgun the reveals to the studs of your wall on the left and right sides of your window, with masonite spacers between the reveals and the house frame/studs/noggins. That's about it. And of course, the architraves then go onto the inside and outside and hide what goes on below - the architraves just span the reveal and wall plasterboard on the inside (similar outside) and go round all four sides of the window, with 45% mitre cuts at the corners. Tada, a window!

Smile

thanks ashwood ive seen them done before and thought they were pretty straight forward but i wasnt sure about how the reveals worked but thanks to everyones help i now know what im doing so at least thats one part of the house ill be able to do with confidence the rest welllll itll get there eventually lol thank god for this site

How old are these windows? If they're old they may not comply with AS2047/AS1288 in which case you may not pass final inspection. If there are no stickers attached or you cannot get documentation from the original manufacturer you may not be able to use the windows. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

there new windows and they have stickers on them so i think they will be ok thanks for the advice though i have to pick them up next week

Hi,

Where would one source windows at such small prices?

Cheers
    Purse

hi i got them of ebay 12 new windows 10 grey frames 2 white frames the 2 white ones i will sell as i want the same colour so should get most of my money back i was lucky ive been looking for ages and was in the right place right time but worth the wait all come with reveals which i may have to alter or change but at this price im already 7400.00 under quoted price.they were left over from a housing development i have to pick them up 11th feb so ill let everyone know more details then cheers shelley

Quote Originally Posted by bingoshelley View Post
    hi i got them of ebay 12 new windows 10 grey frames 2 white frames the 2 white ones i will sell as i want the same colour so should get most of my money back i was lucky ive been looking for ages and was in the right place right time but worth the wait all come with reveals which i may have to alter or change but at this price im already 7400.00 under quoted price.they were left over from a housing development i have to pick them up 11th feb so ill let everyone know more details then cheers shelley
    ok just an update on the windows there were 6 windows i could use the others are a mixture between fixed,awning,casement and gable windows so may have to sell most but still happy with whats left.was thinking of using the 2 big fixed ones along the left wall that origanally had no windows wall measures 8.4 mtrs windows are 2.4 x 1.8 by 2 of them only problem is they are aluminium like the rest but in white so would have to paint and unsure how they would turn out painting aluminium windows.also if id be allowed to use fixed windows in this area it is open plan lounge kitchen area with 1 open sliding window in lounge area with front door entrance and other side of room has 1 sliding glass door and 1 window above kitchen sink both rooms together measure 8.4 x 5.4.any thoughts?