Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Resin problems

Question Resin problems

I want to put some old rusty objects into a soft wood table. Using a router I've made places for the objects so the top remains level. I tried a fibre glass resin as it was the only one avalibe but some have gone cloudy and dark especically the deeper holes. I will have to get the resin out and do this again. How do I get the resin out? what resin should I used next time? Does resin react to rust? and finally can a vanish after I resin?
    I'm very new to this and need a lot of help... PLEASE

Casting resin is a science.....

I make a clear casting resin that is water clear and u.v stable and will never yellow. It will adhere to wood when step by step instructions are followed.
    Embedding rusty objects is no problem if you pre dip or hand paint them in some catalyzed resin mix first 24 hours before embed casting.

Once most types of resin are crosslinked or set, removal from some surfaces can be very difficult. A cnc router could cut out the resin centre but it would be expensive. Most resins are chemical resistant when set. I have a product called Dichloromethane (DCM) or Methylene chloride. It will melt plastic and most resins and organic polymers. It is a basic plastic solvent.
    It is $29 per Liter, $90 for 4 liters. + gst and delivery.

It must be used with care.

Regards,

Luke.
    Last edited by DJ’s Timber; 19th January 2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Remove Advertising