Default Small Concrete Mixing Tool?

I need to do small concreting jobs around the house at different times - more than can easily be done in a barrow, but not enough to justify buying a proper concrete mixer; and more frequently than I would like to consider hiring.

Does anyone know where I can get a mini mixer of some sort to make things easier - I've seen on a US website a plastic barrel with fins inside and a cover to secure the contents ... you simply put the cement & sand/aggregate inside, add water and basically "roll" the barrel on the ground using your feet.

Or perhaps, thinking out of the box, something like the compost bins with a spindle which you turn to rotate the bin to aerate the compost?? Probably can't use the actual compost ones as they may not take the weight of concrete.

I've also seen on TV handheld "cake mixers" for concrete - do these work well and how much do these cost?

Any leads, ideas (if possible give me a feel of price range) - for Melbourne.

Thanks.

You really have set some impossible parameters there - if it is too much for a barrow and not enough for a mixer then it shouldn't exist.

Sorry but what i mean is if you have a decent sized barrow and use the hoe with the holes in it like the way they used to hand mix concrete in small batches that is an option - so perhaps your barrow is too small.

If it is too big for this then you do need a mixer - if the cost frightens you a bit then just consider how much you will be out of pocket if you buy a mixer finish your jobs then sell it - if it is in great condition you do not lose that much on resale.

If you think you can man handle a tumbler of some sort with wet concrete in it I advise against it as concrete when wet is very sticky and very heavy it will hang on then let go when it can maximise it's chances of hurting you. I have seen some antique things that look like a mixer on a wheelbarrow with a handle - but be sure by the time you have bought this then killed yourself with this gadget then sold it you would have inherited a lot of pain for no real gain over buying then selling an electric mixer.

I have tried to get a secondhand electric mixer and they sell fast - so not good if you want to buy one but great if you are selling one.

I recommend you see how much an electric mixer is new versus second hand and do your maths based upon this. If this is out of the question big barrow and holey hoe is the safest option.

I have a concrete mixer I don't think i will ever sell it - they are very useful and save a heap of backbreaking work.

Good luck
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

There used to be one that was hand turned and had a wheel like a wheelbarrow.

Get your self an Ozito rotory hammer drill, a big paint stirer like the use on big paint tins, all available from Bunnings.
    And stir it up in the barrow that way, I saw a guy on site years ago mixed all his mud that way.

Al

I've used a grout mixing accessory (about 75mm diameter) in a workhorse electric drill (one of those old Black & Decker affairs with the auxiliary pipe handle), in a 5-gallon bucket for small batches. Not too bad for high water content mixes (i.e. not very structural). For stiffer mixes, see if you can find a flattish mortar-mixing tray - better shape for hoe mixing than a barrow.

I also adopted an electric mixer as a roadside orphan. A few spokes cracked on the large pulley. No belt guard. Terrible mesh between the pinion gear and ring gear on the tub. I patched the spokes, made a belt guard, and ground the hub on the tub to enhance gear mesh. Considering I pay myself less than minimum wage, I reckon I spent slightly less than 1.5 times cost of new.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

About 30 years ago I bought a " Roll-A-Mix" from clark rubber, plastic barrel with a rubber tyre and jockey wheels , as you can see still works well . Have mixed a lot of mud in it as have a lot of mates. All you need is somewear flat to roll it.
    Have no idea where to get one today they were made in the UK origionally.
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashwood, I was faced with a similar dilemma having to do about 200 sq mtrs of clay paving and some bricklaying. All those edges!

Not wanting to do all that mud mixing by hand, I do have one of the hoes with holes, I decided to buy a cheap concrete mixer.

As my son works for Hills, and they had a reciprocal deal with GMC on staff purchases, I bought a GFMC concrete mixer for a reasonable price.

I can mix anywhere from about 1/3 barrow to a barrow at the time, does a great job. BTW we have just finished the paving (hooray!)

I believe Bunnies sell them for $299, well worth the dollars.

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi all,
    Thanks so much for all your views.
    I'm really glad I came across & joined this forum.
    You guys really give solid advice & very practical views.
    I'll think over what works best for my circumstances and take it from there.
    Cheers.

My old man was faced with this very problem. He thought on it a while, had a beer, procrastinated some, sketched a few ideas on paper and promptly threw them out, nutted out all the posibilities and then .....................................

handed the bloomin' holey hoe to me and said mix or I will kick you butt into next week.

I was the perfect small concrete mixing tool!!! We concreted many strainer posts, slabs for around water troughs and the odd small shed slab all with me on the hoe and him on the shovel. We made a great team I heard him tell one of our old neighbours.

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Default best suggestion!

that's great!

When can you start?

My mate Larry had a holey hoe

And my old man bought one of those mixers with the handle, no one wanted to use it as the rotten thing gave you blisters big time.:mad:

I sold my last electric mixer 10 years ago when I was short on room and have been curseing myself ever since.