Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surface mount electrical conduit systems

Hi guys,

My basement workshop is almost finished the building stage - floor slab to be poured in just over a week.

I am looking at options for surface mount conduit for 10 and 15 amp power points and also possibly lighting.

There must be some people out there that have had experience with some kind of conduiting system for electrical cable other than the standard round pvc tube.

So any suggestions?

This workshop has cost a small fortune so I would like it to have a nice neat and finished look when done.

I plan to paint the walls white, epoxy coating on the concrete floor etc.

Cheers
    The Numbat is a small striped marsupial whose whole diet consists of termites.

There are square and rectangular box type of pvc conduit with a removable front.

Fix the U shaped back against the wall, insert your cabling and push the front on.

About the same price and you can later take the front of, add extra powerpoints as needed ,and then replace the front.

Peter.

Peter,
    it's called cable duct (at least by the sparkies I deal with, again it may be a regional thing)

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Probably is a regional thing Mick.

I just ask for the rectangular conduit at the electrical wholesaler and the counter staff seems to know what I want.

BTW Bunnings sell it too at about double the price. :eek:

Peter.

What you are after is something called "Mini Duct".

If you go to www.clipsal.com.au and select PRODUCT SEARCH on the left of the page, the online catalogue will pop up in a new window. Do a WORD search on "MINI DUCT".

Bunnings are not any help for electrical questions on parts and stuff. They are also dearer than what you can get it for at places such as Auslec or Lawrence & Hansen, who come under the larger company Hagemeyer.
    www.hagemeyerelectrical.com.au
    Lawrence & Hansen In Canberra area = Unit 4 / 3 Barrier St Fyshwick, Ph. (02) 6280 5532
    or
    Lawrence & Hansen = Unit 2 / 67-71 Vicars St Mitchell Ph. (02) 6242 9655

Hope this helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Abug
    What you are after is something called "Mini Duct".
    Wouldnt it be called Duckling?????

Al :confused:

Default "Sticky Back" ducting

we call it "sticky back" ducting at work, rectangular section PVC with a removable cover and double sided tape on the back, comes in lots of sizes.
    Even though the tape will hold it to the wall it is worth a couple of mechanical fastners as well, I find that once you get a bit of weight in it, the tape can sometimes let go.

Jon

well as most of you would know, I travel aust with work and well I get this stuff regularly from varying companies (inc. wholesale) aust wide and I have only ever called it box ducting and no one has ever gone, 'huh?' even the less knowledgable staff at bunnies :eek:
    So no doubt the suppliers are used to it being called by various pet names.

If you want to be a total knob, in the olden days one could get a timber cover, sort of like a "C" or channel section with a fancy moulded top.

This was screwed over the top of the loose cable from the ceiling to the switch on T&G lined houses.

It's probably still available, or you could make your own, but just remember not to bung nails in it after the event!

Cheers,

P

l know the sqare pvc as ausieduct. there is a metal surface ducting system where the power points fit straight into the duct, l think it is called moduline. It has seperate channels inside for different cabling, phone , power etc.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I did a quick google and found this supplier link http://www.spec-net.com.au/company/moduline.htm . That was the type of system I had in mind - a ducting system that you can fit the power outlets directly to.

Cheers
    The Numbat is a small striped marsupial whose whole diet consists of termites.

No problems!

It's available from any electrical trade wholesaler, like Lawrence and Hanson, used in almost every office building.

Not cheap,

Has up to three separate compartments for running elec, telecom, and data cables.

but you know that ..... now.....

Cheers,

P

There are all sorts of "fancy" duct systems, But I don't think you want to pay for them. Then they often use "special" powerpoints & I don't think you want to pay for those either.
    Conventional duct combined with drops of conduit is probably the best option.

Common plastic duct comes in two types, the pretty white stuff in smaller sizes is lighter in the wall & uggly gray stuff which I've seen up to 200mm wide.
    75 x 75 gray you can get lots of circuits into. Run it round the workshop above door height & do drops of 25mm conduit down to your GPO's on mounting blocks.
    Or runn it along the wall above bench height & fit the GPO's on mounting blocks directly above or below it.

there are haeps of options.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

It's flat duct or round conduit.

Ya can't get the lid off conduit.

The flat duct has several 'trade' names.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    It's flat duct or round conduit.

Ya can't get the lid off conduit.

The flat duct has several 'trade' names.
    Has up to three separate compartments for running elec, telecom, and data cables.
    Can ya get it foil lined??
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}