Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: shellawax

Default shellawax

hello all i am making a 3 tier lazy susan cake stand.i was going to finish it with shellawaxi know friction melts shellawax into the timber.thing is bottom piece is going to be 400mm wide.now i dont fancy having that spinning around at 1700 rpm.the rest of the stand will be fine.one.i have a swansdown mop.if used at full speed in a drill will this impart enough heat for the required finish.or any suggestions for another easy to apply finish that imparts a shine.(thats what the customer wants,a shiny finish)any advice will be greatly appreciated.looking forward to the collective knowledge here giving me some kind of idea.

400mm isn't that big to run on the lathe. Is it turned? You don't have to run at 1700rpm to apply Shellawax. Just drop the speed to something you're comfortable with and it will still work.

You could use the mop but it would need to be well conditioned ie: basically clogged (glazed) on the face with shellawax or other wax. Otherwise instead of burning the shellawax into the surface it will pull it off and into the buff.

If the piece can't be done on the lathe then try a couple of coats of our White Shellac (dewaxed) then buffed with EEE using the mop. Will come up pretty much the same as the stuff applied on the lathe.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil

PS if it's of any help I'll be demonstrating this and a whole lot more at the Working With Wood Show in Briz in a few weeks.

ty neil shellawax it is for the finish.i look forward to seeing your demos at the brisbane t&www .ty.