Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default SBW-4300 or BP-430

After much catalogue drooling, I have narrowed down my selection to the above two models.

To the novice (that's me!) they both appear to be the same machine in all respects, aside from the badging.

Is there any reason I should be buying the Carbatec 4300 over the Hare and Forbes 430 given it is about $50 dearer and doesn't come with a mitre guide?

Words of wisdom prior to next Saturday would be appreciated, as that is when I plan on purchasing.

Thanks heaps.

Carl

PS. Is there any other alternative that I should be looking at for the same or less money?

Hi Roverman
    I bought a CarbaTec 4300 at last year's pre woodshow sale - very happy with it. Get some good blades and away you go.
    I seem to get friendlier service at CarbaTec in Sydney than H&F... but then I have bought more at CT!!!
    Why not negotiate with CT re price & mitre guide... they can only say no....
    Can't really comment on the HF430 - no first hand knowlege.
    Either way - I am sure you will have fun!!
    Good luck
    Peter
    Artisans On The Hilll - Gallery, Manning Valley Hideaway Accommodation & Workshops.
    Ideal Family or Group Getaway!
    You all come & visit now - y'hear!
    http://www.artisansonthehill.com.au

roverman, I have a 4300 (not a CT - but the same). It does the job, but I would prefer to be able to put more tension on the blade. This is a weakness IMHO, otherwise I am happy with it.

STOP PRESS: I almost forgot! When I originally got the machine it had cheap Asian capacitors which burnt out (twice) resulting in down time whilst waiting for parts. I replaced them with American cappies and now it is fine.

Talking

Have settled on the Carbatec 4300. Cast iron wheels over alloy are worth the extra $'s in my book, plus CT are throwing in a mitre gauge. Hope to pick up this saturday.

Thanks go to Cameron of CT Brisbane for alerting me to possible differences between the two models considered (in this case the cast iron wheels). And I thought a bandsaw was a bandsaw. Well they look the same!

I can thoroughly recommend the service that Cameron has given me over the past months. Talk to him for a special deal on this saw pre 30 June.

Thanks members for the recommendations, much appreciated.

Cool Woodworking Warehouse

Gregory Machinery Queensland also stock the 4300 and are selling it for $1475 including GST. Also Woodworking Warehouse in Victoria are selling this model for $1250 including GST including the fence and mitre gauge, there is also the JET 16" Bandsaw with european style blade guides direct reading blade tensioning scale including rip fence and mitre gauge solid cast wheels $1450 including GST JET comes with a 2 year warranty also

So on paper the Jet appears the best of the lot. Who is selling these - was it Gregory Machinery as well?