Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why are my floor boards suddenly cracking after 90 years ?

The house is about 90 years old high set (6' high) & the floor is pine about 3/4" thick. Stumps were replaced with concrete some 10 years back & i have done nothing structural to it what-so-ever.

Several floor boards have started to split with 1 to 2 foot cracks a few mm's wide. Now the only thing that has happened is that i have put a gas heater in & whilst this seems an obvious answer...it barely raises the temp of the floor at all..just ever so slightly warm to touch with the palm of my hand. But...the splits are occuring within a 6-8 foot radius of the heater.

Now im used to the doors & windows all moving with the dry & then that rain last month but do you think its the sudden rain that moved the floor or could the heater be the culprit. Believe me that heater is only just slightly warming the floor boards a few degrees in a big arc...it isnt hot.

Some pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16083344@N00/812969066/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16083344@N00/812969050/

My best guess is that the lack of moisture in the air would be the main cause.

I know of 80 plus year old homes that are developing huge cracks in walls and foundations.
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    My best guess is that the lack of moisture in the air would be the main cause.

I know of 80 plus year old homes that are developing huge cracks in walls and foundations.
    Yeah...now that im aware of it...i have just found a huge one 18 feet from the heater that is identicle to the others.

G'day.
    temperature changes will not affect a floor as much as Humidity will.
    A fire will dry the air as well as warm it. the dry air will take up moisture from anywhere it can get it. ie: your floor. Happens all the time.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by glock40sw View Post
    G'day.
    temperature changes will not affect a floor as much as Humidity will.
    A fire will dry the air as well as warm it. the dry air will take up moisture from anywhere it can get it. ie: your floor. Happens all the time.
    Tks for that...i told my wife someone on here would be able to answer that.

So whats the go ? Sit here & freeze to death ....or fill them along side the other 90 years of splits that have filler in them i suppose. Guess i just answered that...off to the hardware then.

I've never had probs with cracking floorboards, but I have real dry skin and when I use gas or wood heat in a relatively tight house I have to deal with cracking skin. The fix is place a noncombustable/nonmeltable container of h2o on top of the space heater and it will slowly evaporate the h2o and rehumidify the house. Have to be careful not to overdo it or can cause difficulty with wallpaper or any other item that too much humidity bothers.

"Look the pyramid is opening."
    "Which one?"
    "The one with the everwidening hole in it."

Yup We have the same problem. Same area (Bris) and we also recently purchased a gas heater. There is a new split about 300mm long, 1 metre from the heater.

Mick is the gas heater flued or is it a flueless/portable unit? Ours is flueless and we move it around, this and the thick coir mats with rubber backing have probably saved us from more splits. Our heater blows out hot air across the floor, my solution is more mats and to elevate the heater 1m off the floor. I'm hoping this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Zero View Post
    I've never had probs with cracking floorboards, but I have real dry skin and when I use gas or wood heat in a relatively tight house I have to deal with cracking skin. The fix is place a noncombustable/nonmeltable container of h2o on top of the space heater and it will slowly evaporate the h2o and rehumidify the house. Have to be careful not to overdo it or can cause difficulty with wallpaper or any other item that too much humidity bothers.

What he said.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by felixe View Post
    Yup We have the same problem. Same area (Bris) and we also recently purchased a gas heater. There is a new split about 300mm long, 1 metre from the heater.

Mick is the gas heater flued or is it a flueless/portable unit? Ours is flueless and we move it around, this and the thick coir mats with rubber backing have probably saved us from more splits. Our heater blows out hot air across the floor, my solution is more mats and to elevate the heater 1m off the floor. I'm hoping this works.
    Its a flueless one. Im taking a lot more notice of the floor today & where i could see daylight with about a 1 or 2mm gap between the hardwood of the old enclosed veranda...im now seeing bloody 3 mm

I had no idea the timber had that much moisture in it...i am elevating the heater now onto an old table with the water on top to head this off at the pass. Its only for 6 weeks a year that we need it anyway.

Tks blokes !

"Look the pyramid is opening."
    "Which one?"
    "The one with the everwidening hole in it."
    The top of the heater is actually only just warm to touch & never gets hot at all...will this water method still work ?

The place had a huge open fireplace in it for 60 years also...i thought that would have done all the drying by now.

Sure it just needs to be a little warmer than the ambient temp of the room. I was using a "Dearborn" model when I used this method. One could always flathand the top without burning.

"Oh my god, Nickys bleeding. I'll just get a strip of my petticoat... Here you tie him up with this..."
    Nancy

Sure it just needs to be a little warmer than the ambient temp of the room. I was using a "Dearborn" model when I used this method. One could always flathand the top without burning.

"Oh my god, Nickys bleeding. I'll just get a strip of my petticoat... Here you tie him up with this..."
    Nancy
    Tks capt. I have a bowl in front of the heater & it is reducing slightly. My walls & ceiling are also pine boards & ive just noticed that all the 'bows' (where they were pushing each other out slightly) are out of them now also.

What do you think about a good wet mop every few days would do as then the moisture could get into the floor via the gaps in between ? I usually just mop with an almost dry mop.

Don't do the Wet Mop trick.
    It will cause more harm than good.
    Just continue as you are.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Glad to be an asst. It seems I take much more than I generally am able to give here. I'm still new to woodwork, and learn a lot reading here on the other side of the world. By the way, how do you guys keep from falling off the bottom of the globe?

"Hmm...let me check the other side of the record. Yep their still talking Chinese."

Hi

Global warming

"they" blame it for everything else
    Kind Regards

Peter